Monday, September 12, 2016

My Guinea Pig / Senior Year - Daybook Post


Outside my window ~


He's getting the hang of it.  :)

A cold front moved in last Saturday, and the weather has been gorgeous ever since.  Even though our afternoons hit 90 +,  our mornings are incredibly pleasant with very little humidity.

I am thankful for ~

* My senior, (my guinea pig),  Miss Sally (pictured on the right with her good friend).

























* Her work ethic and impressive determination which has made homeschooling her, for the most part, uncomplicated.

* Having had the opportunity and for making the choice to homeschool her through high school.


I am reading ~



Loved this book!!  (My friend Jen recommended it, and I am so glad she did.)

From the Amazon page:

Sam is, to say the least, bookish. An English major of the highest order, her diet has always been Austen, Dickens, and Shakespeare. The problem is, both her prose and conversation tend to be more Elizabeth Bennet than Samantha Moore.
But life for the twenty-three-year-old orphan is about to get stranger than fiction. An anonymous, Dickensian benefactor (calling himself Mr. Knightley) offers to put Sam through Northwestern University’s prestigious Medill School of Journalism. There is only one catch: Sam must write frequent letters to the mysterious donor, detailing her progress.


From the school room ~

I currently have a 16 year old senior.


Back in 2003, I put her in a 3 year old preschool class since we were about to close on the new house we were building and I was 8 months pregnant with my third child.

Her teacher pulled me aside and confirmed my thoughts on moving her ahead.  I started homeschooling her in kindergarten at the age of 4, and we never looked back.

She has been my guinea pig and so far, we are surviving.



 Thank you, Jesus!

Advanced Math (1 & 2)




Religion (Catholic philosophy and apologetics) **HIGHLY recommend this course, especially for your seniors who are about to go out into the world.**



American History (She flip-flopped the history order, taking World History sophomore year and American Government and Economics junior year.)



English  (A whole lot of reading and writing!!)
(In addition to these books, she will be doing analytical papers on: Sherlock Holmes- the Hound of Baskervilles (Arthur Conan Doyle),  Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte),  Out of the Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis) and  Perelandra (C.S. Lewis).


Honors American Literature

(In addition to: Up From Slavery (Booker T. Washington),  So Big (Edna Ferber),  The Virginian (Owen Wister) and  Little Women (Louisa May Alcott).

Science
She has already put 4 years of science (with labs) behind her by the end of junior year, so no science this semester.

Miss Sally continues to work part time as a swim instructor and certified life guard with the city, is a member of Eta Sigma Alpha Honor Society (National Home School Honor Society), and participates in Lifeteen youth group.


I am praying for ~

* all those who have asked me to pray for them

* an end to abortion

* our priests

* my children and husband

* our country


Around the house ~

Miss Mabel cleaned out the tear drop camper in preparation for a BIG camping trip that she and David are going on.



David and Stan the man had their first Troops of St. George meeting / Mass for the year.



Someone got some new sneakers this past weekend.



Our parish had a Golf Classic today.  Miss Ester was given a FREE ticket (worth $125) to participate.  Wasn't that generous of the donor??

That's her in the pink shirt driving the golf car.


(Because when you homeschool, you can participate on a Monday morning ;)

David (orange shirt and waving) with a golf buddy.



From the kitchen ~

Tonight I am making my baked spaghetti dinner.  (Recipe here)



I am listening to ~

Miss Clementine singing her heart out while she plays.  (Gosh!  I love listening to pre schoolers during pretend play time, don't you?)

Coming down the pike this week ~

Sunday: Lifeteen youth group
Monday: Golf Classic
Tuesday: Edge youth group
Tuesday: Moms Night Out (I can hardly wait!)
Tuesday: Dentist appointment
Wednesday: Ballet for Clementine
Wednesday: Choir for Stan, Mabel, and Ester
Wednesday:  Stan has a birthday party to go to.
Thursday: PE for Stan the man
Thursday: Miss Mabel's birthday :)
Saturday:  High School social night

One last photo to share ~

I was asked to provide a clean up crew for the Golf Classic ball drop this morning.  The balls needed to be picked up, and a few moms with little ones came to my rescue!


Have a fantastic week ahead!!

~  Patty  ~



4 comments:

  1. Patty, please know that you have been an inspiration and role model for me long before I ever started my own blog. I found you and was so inspired by you in so many ways... Homeschooling, family, religion, even cooking. Who knew I would be fortunate enough to become a friend.
    Loved this post, Patty.
    Your children are blessed and a blessing as well. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty! I know you are going to have a fun night out tonight, but first that dental appointment...
    Your oldest daughter is such a beautiful and smart girl. You certainly did make a great choice in homeschooling. It takes a lot of dedication and planning, and you have done that. You should be just as proud of yourself as you are in her :)
    Tuesday blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love homeschooling and love to see other families enjoy it and excel!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails