Saturday, September 10, 2016

Meatloaf

Meatloaf came up on the monthly meal planner (here, and here is another), and I realized that I didn't have my mom's recipe on my blog.  Only on some handwritten notes.  So I'm loading it up in this post.

Sometimes I think meatloaf can get a bad rap.  Whenever I hear the word meatloaf I instantly think of Christmas Story and the younger brother Randy complaining, "Meatloaf.  Beat loaf.  I hate meatloaf." Ha ha ha!

My family likes it, and I use my mom's recipe.  I loved walking into the house as a kiddo and being smacked in the face with the delicious smell of meatloaf dinner (with mashed potatoes and some vegetable on the side).

Heavenly goodness!  Think of a glorified hamburger :)


Ingredients:
2 lbs. ground chuck
1 cup seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
1/2 finally chopped onion (I sub it out for onion powder.)
1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon garlic pepper
2 eggs
pepper to taste
salt if desired

Directions:
1.  Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.  In large bowl, combine all ingredients.  Mix well (I use my hands to mix it.)  Shape into a pie shape in 9" pie plate.
3.  Cover with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours.  Remove foil for last 20 minutes.
4.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

I always serve it with mashed potatoes and a side of veggies, just like my mom use to :)


It's SO easy to make ahead.  I had this cooking in the oven while we were at 5:00pm Mass tonight.  My house smelled so good when we walked in!

Enjoy!

~  Patty  ~

3 comments:

  1. Just wrote it in my dinner planner for Tuesday night! Thanks for helping me dinner plan for the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for getting my hands messy, this is such an easy recipe. And so good! Enjoy :)

      Delete
  2. This meatloaf just blew my mind! In a pie plate?!?! I must try this! I always put my meatloaf in a loaf shaped pyrex. BTW I use two different recipes one I put an envelope of onion soup mix and the bread crumbs and egg and a generous squirt of ketchup. The other I use a can of Campbell's Tomato Vegetable soup (the kind with the little alphabet pasta in it) and then the eggs and bread crumbs. Both easy and delicious. I will try your recipe next time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails