Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Her Sophomore Year & Nature - Daybook Post

Outside my window ~





For a few weeks in the spring and again in late summer, the hummingbirds migrate up from Mexico, heading to northern parts of the U.S. and Canada for the summer only to head back south to Mexico for the winter.

This little buddy of mine hangs out with us for a few weeks on each leg of the trip.

God's creatures are so amazing!

I am thankful for ~

* my amazing sophomore, Miss Ester.

* her enthusiasm for physical fitness, her love of God and faith, and her kindness and charity toward others.

* Our newest holy friend in heaven, St. Teresa of Calcutta!!

(Hand painted peg doll of St. Teresa from a peg doll exchange last year and Shining Light Dolls'  newest saint doll.)

I am reading ~

Actually, I finished this book last week...


This was a great book to curl up with on a Sunday afternoon.  Easy to read.  The story line is based on the life of a Jewish girl whose family immigrated to the United States at the Turn-of-the-Century.  What made her the woman she became?  She recalls in detail the events of her teen age years and the impact it had on her life.

*There is a small chapter that is pro-Margaret Sanger.  And there are a couple of comments in the later chapters that make you aware of how anti-conservative this Jewish woman was as well as her family.

From the school room ~

Miss Ester's sophomore year looks like this::

Religion


World History & Geometry


Health Science (We decided to choose this health course since 1.) she had biology her freshman year, and 2.) she felt geometry and chemistry would be to difficult to take sophomore year.  She will save chemistry for her junior year.)



Economics (a one semester credit, and she is actually taking Seton's online Economics course.)



English (composition culminating in a persuasive research report as well as literary analysis.  Seton provides online lectures.)


She will be working with A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens), Animal Farm (George Orwell), Great Expectations (Charles Dickens), Lay Siege to Heaven : St. Catherine of Siena (Louis de Wohl), My Antonia (Willa Cather).

Miss Ester continues to be employed as a swim instructor aide on Tuesday and Thursday evenings through the year.

She also has her horse, Penny, whom she loves so much!!  She's able to go horse riding once a week.


I am praying for ~

* a successful youth group this year

* for an end to abortion

* the souls in Purgatory

* our priests

* all those who have asked me to pray for them

Around the house ~

My family thought I was really losing it when I started putting fall decorations up mid-August!


The reason for my insanity is Hobby Lobby's :)  Have you ever been in their store and saw all the adorable seasonal items?  They sell fast!  I've learned to purchase when I see something I admire because chances are it will be sold out when I go back to get it.

I didn't want to pack away my purchases only to get them out in six weeks, so I just decided to start decorating for fall early this year. :)



(Trying to be patient teaching little sister a board game.)

From the kitchen ~

Rhodes' cinnamon rolls.  They are the BEST!


I am listening to ~

One of my girls play the ukulele.  (They are self-taught and are actually really, really good!)

Coming down the pike this week ~

* Sunday - Canonization of St. Teresa of Calcutta
*Monday - Labor Day
* Tuesday - Youth Group (EDGE) for Jr. High.  Mabel is pretty excited to meet the new youth group director!!
* Wednesday - Ballet for Miss Clementine - Children's and Teen Choir practise begins for the year.
* Thursday - PE for Stan the Man
* Friday - First Little Flowers/ Little Women's gathering of the year
* Saturday - Troops of St. George info night and Mass

One last photo to share ~

Stan:  Mom!  Come out here with your camera.  You've got to take a picture of this!  I think it's the prettiest thing I've seen all week!


Have a beautiful week!

~  Patty ~

8 comments:

  1. That last picture and the fact that your boy called your attention to it... love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great collection of books! It is going to be a great year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She enjoys reading and is happy (so far) with the selection she's chosen. They give her a list for each quarter and she can pick from the list they provide.

      Delete
  3. Great collection of books! It is going to be a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like Miss Ester is going to be extremely busy!
    I'm putting The Boston Girl on my list, it looks good!
    Love the picture of Stan & Clementine working together...and that last picture is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to mention: Rhodes cinnamon rolls are DA BOMB!!! Especially when you're camping! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you do this over your campfire? Must know!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails