Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Soaking It Up




Women are such resilient and amazing creatures.  Awesome creatures.  I mean, men are strong and tough, but just think about what the woman's body can do.  That, alone, is miraculous.

Throw in the vocation of motherhood and life becomes even more beautiful and perplexing at the same time.  I am sure glad God knows what he is doing because there are too many times I do not!

My intricate and involved life keeps me hopping and sometimes there is no rest for the weary.  I am sure the majority of you understand that too well.


Life is constantly evolving, never staying the same.  Right when you think you have the "perfect" solution, life throws a curve ball.




My latest curve ball is (drum roll please), menopause.  I'm definitely entering it.

Menopause:  Menopause is defined as occurring 12 months after your last menstrual period and marks the end of menstrual cycles.

When I realized that this is really happening, I looked up the definition of menopause.  There are plenty of catchy titles that women have assigned to it, but one really had me upset.  It is said that some women refer to menopause as, "The Beginning of the End."

How absolutely morbid!


Quickly adding the years up in my head, I came to the conclusion there was no way I would refer to it as that.

No way.

I wouldn't say it has been a joyful experience either, but I'd rather try to shoot for joyful than "the beginning of the end."  Agree?



I do believe menopause can feel like a morbid, disturbing, abnormal experience for some women out there.  Definitely abnormal in the sense that all of a sudden our entire emotional and physical well being is turned upside down.  However, I'm going to try hard to maintain the best mental approach that I can.

Honestly?  "The change" has been kind of difficult for me so far.

It has also been challenging to find the best approach to deal with head on.


I am 47 and up until this summer,  I had the laissez-faire attitude toward it; "This isn't so bad!"  Like going into labor for the first time and you are only at the beginning stages??  And you are like, awe...this isn't so bad.

Yup.  That was my attitude toward menopause.

Then, what seems like something literally came out of nowhere, my entire female system short circuited, and I did NOT like how it made me feel.

I have had to act quickly trying to stabilize this new normal and enjoy life while doing so.

I don't want my joy robbed nor do I want to rob the joy from others who live in my house.

I have been working on some life style changes, trying to focus more on well-being.  It seems to be helping.


Most importantly, I have been stepping back to further watch and enjoy the gifts God has entrusted to my husband and I.

I have a senior and a pre-schooler this year.  I want to be as joy-filled as possible knowing how quickly time has marched on and will continue to do so.

It isn't going to be easy.

Would I knock you over with a feather if I told you I was actually looking forward to my next yearly doctor's exam??  (Never thought I'd say those words!)

I'm just planning on soaking up one day at a time.  Baby steps.

~  Patty  ~


8 comments:

  1. The "Beginning of the end?!??!"! Good heavens, I never heard that one before! I've gone through menopause and made it out the other side .. a bunch of years ago, in fact :) .. and it most definitely was not the "end." I pray it will be as smooth a possible for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intend to find the humor in this season! Thx for the uplifting comment :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your honesty and sharing. I hope that you are able to soak up your days and settle in as you face this new season. Hugs, sweet Patty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear friend,
    Such an honest, heartfelt, important post.
    I know we have talked before about this, and I am so very thankful I have you to go through this next phase of life with. Some words of wisdom from a favorite nurse when I called her one day during a rather anxious day..."Remember, it's not you. It's the process." And may I add..."Jesus, I trust in you!" Hugs, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel. You have written my feelings exactly. Exhaustion is a new reality for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel. You have written my feelings exactly. Exhaustion is a new reality for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Patty, Once I missed one month. I actually got excited thinking I wouldn't have to 'deal with' my period. But it was only one month. I guess there's more to it than just not getting your period anymore, sorry. Keep us posted. I already learn a lot from you and I'm sure I'm right on your heals for this one. Hang in there. I love your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was sooo glad when I FINALLY went a whole year without any kind of "visit"! I think you're definitely more "maternal" than I am, and that's okay! :)
    I could do without the night sweats, menopausal acne, and the mood swings, but I guess there has to be some kind of give & take! :)
    Hang in there, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails