Saturday, June 4, 2016

Suitcase Packing Anxiety

Once upon a time, David and I traveled a lot.  We were younger and hadn't been blessed with any children yet.

As long as I can remember, I have always had the desire to travel to foreign or exotic places.  My first trip out of the country was shortly after I graduated from Creighton University.  My friend and I headed down to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (Easter 1992)

 (Ha ha!  I have a little bit of 80's fashion hang over going on with that side pony tail!)

Packing was never an issue.  I could plan way ahead, and even color coordinated e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.: flip flops, pony tails, jewelry, dresses and shoes.

I enjoyed it so much!

A few years ago, everything changed.  Not sure if it was the amount of kids we had been eventually blessed with, my crazy hormones from aging, stress from home school (this DEFINITELY had a huge role in it), but the overwhelming feeling of packing for a family of 7 caused so much anxiety.



Hard to believe it's been almost 3 years since we took a week long cruise.  That's when my anxiety started to hit.  At that time, I came up with this packing solution #1 ::



Because we only have enough clothes to make it through one full week, I laid out everyone's  wardrobe in advance, took a photo of it, and then the kids knew exactly what to pack on packing day.

It worked.


Fast forward to present.  We are preparing for a big beach vacation, and I want to stream line the packing even more.  I recently found this packing solution #2 on pinterest.


This has been GREAT!!

Each person gets one.  I mark the quantity of items that are needed and hand the sheet to the child.  They each have their own suitcase and are now in charge of packing their own things.

What a relief it has been for me!

I even printed one off for myself.  I cannot tell you how hard it has become to make the decision on what goes in my own suitcase.  Why is that??

Thank goodness for Pinterest.

~  Patty  ~



1 comment:

  1. Great idea. This is a great way to practice independence for them.
    I always have a tough time deciding what to pack too. I think predicting weather has a lot to do with my anxiety.
    Good luck with the packing and have fun on your trip.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails