Monday, June 13, 2016

Square Foot Garden (2016 Update #4)

Our garden is a jungle and is starting to produce!



Those tomato plants are over 6' tall!!

They're full of tomatoes, still green though.  I'm worried that the Mockingbirds will come and destroy once they see all the red coming through.  (Mockingbirds are attracted to the color and use the tomato for the water inside.)

David has been producing a TON of delicious beans.  Oh my goodness!  I just love home grown green beans :)

On our side (top right), Mabel and I have green beans, too, but they aren't quite ready for the picking.




The cucumbers (top left) are really taking off and the poor pepper plants (top right), well... they are so covered up the the jungle of tomato plants, they don't have much light.




The carrots are really looking nice as well.  I'm curious how those will end up producing since we've never tried carrots before.

I think I finally rid the garden of snails.  We had to hand pick a bunch out and then we poured salt all around the edges of the garden, both top and bottom.

The next thing I'm going to try is a bird bath, hoping that'll help keep the mockingbirds from the tomatoes.

Until next time,  happy gardening!

~  Patty ~

3 comments:

  1. If you hang some bright red large Christmas balls in your green tomatoes, the birds will attack them and grow tired of not getting anything. Then when the tomatoes turn from green to red they will leave them alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed to do this earlier in the season! Good idea. I ended up buying bird netting (14 sq ft x 14 sq ft) for around $5 at Lowe's. So far, so good.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails