Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Kitchen Remodel (Part 1)

Let me start out this post by acknowledging that yes, indeed, I am a very lucky girl to be married to a man that is blessed with many carpentry talents.  I know people have to pay a lot of moolah to have these things done.  I am very grateful :)

**************************

A couple of months ago, we decided that if we were staying in our home for longer than we thought, we were going to update the kitchen.

The cabinets were looking pretty rough.  The finish was faulty to begin with, and we already had the doors replaced once (they were under warranty).

This is what we were looking at each day::


Awful and these replacements weren't even 6 years old!!


With David being a craftsman, he knew that he would rather start over with fresh, unstained doors and reface the frames himself.

So we decided to go that route.

He ordered shaker style cheery doors from his supplier and stained them a Java color.


Aren't they gorgeous??

David decided to install the wall doors first.

The first thing was to take off the old doors and then cut out the center style.




The next step was to reface the front frames.

Very time consuming!  And yes, you can see into my cabinets, ha ha!


(It was a perfect opportunity to PURGE all the "stuff".)

I was totally excited to have an above-the-fridge cabinet installed!  David built it to fit some of my odd-sized dishes.



Just last night, David hung the wall doors.

(The crown moulding will be installed last.)

Here's a sneak peek!



He even installed self-closing hinges.  Very cool.


This is the before picture ::



The next step is to tackle the base cabinets.  Picture all drawers!  I can hardly wait :)


Until the next update,

~  Patty ~

12 comments:

  1. Lookin' good! Hooray for handy husbands! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Patty!!!
    How exciting...
    And beautiful!!!!
    And yay for your hubby! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very exciting! I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's Sherwin Williams "Believable Buff". At first I thought it looked too yellow, but the color does change with the light during the day. I think my eyes were so trained to see the chocolate color prior.

      Delete
  4. Oh, wow! They look like my new cabinets! How exciting! Workmen still working on ours as I write this. We purged as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting! Looks like a beautiful transformation so far. It's great your husband can do this but at the same time I'm sure it's tough to lose him during his free time as he works on it, too.
    I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end though. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathleen. Funny you mention his free time being taken up. He really is getting tired with this kitchen job. Just yesterday, he and Sam took the day and went fishing up on the Red River for the day. It was a good break for both of the them :)

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous! I can't wait to see the final reveal. I put lots of lower drawers when I had my kitchen redone and now I wish I'd done ALL drawers--I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally taking a moment to check the cabinets out. Beautiful!! Can't wait to see them all finished. I'm also looking at those fun new curtains and it must be a new paint color. I think you probably showed this before, but I didn't notice it so much until you posted the before pic as well. Pain color name? I feel like I want a change in our kitchen/dining area and I'm constantly asking others what their paint color names are. lol.
    I also agree, handy husbands are the best! I know I'm blessed as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So David doesn't like the "flowery" curtains that look too much like the "70's" ha ha ha! But I can't tell you how hard it was to find a pair that blended with all areas of the living room, kitchen, and dining room. These areas are all open to one another. He told me he'd "learn to love them." Awe :) I found them on sale at JCPenny over Memorial Day weekend.

      Delete
  8. I can see why you wanted to replace the cabinet doors, and sometimes doing it yourself is easier than letting someone else take over. Your cabinet doors are going to look amazing in your kitchen, especially with the warm java color. Kudos to your husband for building an extra cabinet over the refrigerator. I hope you were able to purge some of your unwanted items.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love kitchen remodels. I know that they are a ton of work but love seeing the before and afters. The color you choose for your cabinets is amazing! Even with just the top finished, you guys have made such an improvement! I can't wait to see how it looks when it's all done.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails