Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mother's Day - Daybook Post

Outside my window ~

Cloudy with a bit of drizzle every now and then.  We had planned to go on a picnic, but the weather isn't going to allow it.  That's okay.  We can picnic indoors ;)

I am thankful for ~

* my mother and mother-in-law

* the joy of being a mother

* the retreat I was just on for mothers, both physical and spiritual mothers

What we are reading ~

The next two weeks have us on a survival path since it's the end of the school year.  We really don't have too much time for extra reading at the moment.

From the school room ~

* Stan the man has finished with his vocabulary, Bible History, and Phonics for the year.

* Miss Sally finished up Logic and American Government.

(Classes are slowly being checked off one by one.)

* Miss Sally and I need to meet with an admissions counselor at the junior college to line up her dual credit courses.

I am praying for ~

* Those women who have lost their mothers in the past year, or those who have lost a child, and for those who desire a child but have been unable to conceive.


* for mothers everywhere

I read this quote over the weekend and needed to share :)

 "The most important person on earth is a mother. She can not claim the honor of having built Notre Dame Cathedral. She need not. She has built something more magnificent than any cathedral - a dwelling for an immortal soul, the tiny perfection of her baby's body. The Angels have not been blessed with such a grace. They can not share in God's creative miracle to bring new saints to Heaven. Only a human mother can. Mothers are closer to God the Creator than any other creature. God joins forces with mothers in performing this act of Creation. What on God's good earth is more glorious than this... to be a mother?" Joseph Cardinal Mindszenty

Around the house ~

* My older 3 went to the premier of Captain America : Civil War  last Thursday.  They LOVED it and had fun meeting up with some friends.

Have any of you seen it yet?  (I hope to see it soon!)




* On Friday, Miss Ester and Miss Mabel had their annual end-of-the-year Little Women's tea party.


By chance, we came across that perfectly feminine dress for Mabel at Kohl's.  Isn't it perfect for a tea party??

* The pool opened this past Friday!


From the kitchen ~

Yesterday, driving home from a retreat I was in near Austin, my friends and I stopped in at Collin Street Bakery.

I brought home a delicious looking blueberry cheesecake for Mother's Day dessert.

(Photo credit: Collin Street Bakery)
I am listening to ~

* David assemble a new ceiling fan for one of the bedrooms

* the older three girls watching Ant Man upstairs

Coming down the pike this week ~

Sunday - Mother's Day

Monday - Texas Rangers MLB game (Sally and I are going.)

Tuesday - Community college admissions appointment

Wednesday - Ballet,  last Confirmation class I have to teach for the year

Friday - Homeschool Talent Show

(Next Sunday) - Confirmation Mass / Pentecost Sunday

Final photos to share ~

So I went on this 24 hours retreat for moms down near Austin over the weekend.  It was put on by the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of The Eucharist.

It was a.m.a.z.i.n.g.  and just the right amount of time for a quick spiritual refill!!

(Our "cabin," which had two separate rooms, each room had 16 sets of bunk beds and a shared bathroom.)

(The cafeteria, a short but beautiful walk from our cabin.)


(The caretaker's residents)

(The chapel and meeting hall)

(Walking paths with stations of the cross)

(These are 2 of my homeschool mom friends that I drove down from Dallas with. )

It was a beautiful retreat filled with, friends, food, May Crowning, 24 Adoration, Mass, Holy Hours, inspirational and uplifting talks about feminine holiness, and Vespers.

I look forward to making this retreat again next May!

Ending now with a HUGE heart felt Mother's Day wish to all of you women out there, both physical and spiritual mothers!

~  Patty  ~

7 comments:

  1. My 2 oldest girls can't wait to get to that movie as well! So nice that you had some time away to recharge...now it should be a piece of cake to get through your last 2 weeks of school, right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day to you, Patty!!!!
    What a shining example of motherhood you are!
    The retreat sounds lovely...
    And you look beautiful.
    Peyton and Rhett LOVED the movie!!!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your retreat sounds so wonderful. It's so good you take the time to care for your soul. It's on my list .. Someday.
    The dress is beautiful and I think taking the time for tea, making it special, is so good for our hearts.

    Your family's energy is so inspiring. You all get so much done and are one the move, all with joyful smiles on your faces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Patty! This post is filled with so many good things! First of all, I hope the rain stays away for your baseball game (maybe it's a covered stadium?). I have been looking into retreats myself, and it's hard to find a good one that's close to me. You would think living in a big metro area would open the opportunities. Maybe I'm just not finding it yet? All in God's time.

    College credits sound awesome! And I would love to float around in your pool :)
    Happy Monday, and I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now THAT is the perfect way to spend a bit of May!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated Mother's Day, Patty. When you mentioned the retreat at the beginning of the post I was hoping to hear more about it...Then I did at the end! It sounded perfect. Glad you had time to recharge those spiritual batteries :)
    I have heard that quote before about mothers. I need to print that one out. That line about God joining forces with mothers! Wow! How profound. It sounds so powerful when it's put that way.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails