Saturday, April 23, 2016

Spring Flowers - Daybook Post

Outside my window ~

Sunshine reigns!


My Red Yucca plants (top 2 photos)  have been blooming since March.  The Prickly Pear was ready to burst with colored flowers when I took this photo.

I am thankful for ~

* a pilgrimage to the Holy Doors this past week!


From the beginning of the Jubilee Year of Mercy on December 8, 2015, until its end on November 20, 2016, an opportunity is given for the faithful to receive a Plenary Indulgence, decreed by Pope Francis and with the pastoral intention of each Diocesan Bishop around the world.

Each diocese around the world will have a designated Holy Door for the faithful to pilgrimage to.

Holy Door/Doors of Mercy?  A ritual used since the 15th century as an expression of conversion.  Pilgrims and penitents pass through it as a gesture of leaving the past behind and crossing the threshold from sin to grace, from slavery to freedom, and from darkness to light.

These rituals are often associated with prayer, pilgrimage, sacrifice, confession, and indulgences.

The Diocese of Dallas has designated the pair of doors at the Cathedral Shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe.  This past week, two bus loads of parishioners made a pilgrimage to the Cathedral to pass through the Holy Doors, take part in the Sacrament of Confession and spend an hour with Our Lord in Adoration.

Plenary Indulgence Guidelines?  In the Diocese of Dallas, Catholics should follow the guidelines below to obtain remission from all temporal punishment due to sin::

1.  Visit the Cathedral Shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe, entering through the Doors of Mercy, plus receiving the designated sacraments (within 21 days) and praying the prescribed prayers -

**1 Our Father, 1 Hail Mary, 1 Glory Be - for the intention of the pope.

2.  Practice the Corporal and/or Spiritual Works of Mercy, plus receive the designated sacraments and praying the prescribed prayers (listed above).


What we are reading ~


Sam just finished this sequel to The Green Ember and loved it.  Looking forward to the next one!

I just received this in the mail, anticipating a virtual book club I will be taking part in this summer.


(Thank you, Sarah, for the suggestion!)

From the school room ~

We just completed mid term week for the 4th quarter!  Totally looking forward to finishing up school in four weeks!!

I am praying for ~

* the intentions of our pope

* our country

* an end to abortion

* for so many who have asked for prayers

* for my spouse and children

Around the house ~

My Prickly Pear bloomed this morning!


Our neighbor gave us a type of spineless cactus plant (top right photo).  I'm not sure what it is called but it makes a nice addition on the patio.

From the kitchen ~

I recently posted about  this yummy pot roast recipe that you make in the crock pot.



I am listening to ~

the hum of the vacuum cleaner as Miss Mabel vacuums the tile floor.

Coming down the pike next week ~

Sunday - Stan serves 8am Mass

Tuesday - doctor appointment for one of the kids

Wednesday - ballet for Clementine and Confirmation class for me  (I only have 3 left!)

Saturday - Family field day for the Troops of St. George

A last photo to share ~

My Marian Garden this year.



Since all of my rose bushes succumbed to that dreaded Rose Rosette Disease and had to be pulled out, I put in a Red Yucca, a Daylilly, and some Zinnias.

Does anyone else have a Marian Garden?

What's a Marian Garden?  You can read about it here.

Hope you all had a great Saturday and that your Sunday is blessed!

~  Patty ~


3 comments:

  1. Hi Patty!
    Your family is so beautiful....and you are such an inspiration to me sharing so much if our faith.
    Thank you for that.
    Hugs from Pa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty! I have a Mary Statue just like yours in my garden behind the house. I love having her there.
    Hope Stan did an awesome job this morning at mass!
    As you may know from FB, two of my three sisters are/were in town this weekend, so we've been having a lot of family time. It's great! I just came back from a fund raising fashion show at my nephews high school, Nazareth Academy. The seniors all were models for a walk down the runway. It was very fun to hear where they were all going to college and what they would study.
    Happy Sunday!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so fun to see blooming plants in other parts of the country. I've been thrilled just to watch all my perennials emerge back out of the ground and turn lush shades of green this past week. I've got some of the gardens mulched, but much more to finish up yet. It's my favorite time of year!
    It was a family weekend around here, which was balm to all of our souls. My parents came to visit and we celebrated Jonah's birthday with Sunday breakfast and cake. Looking ahead to a less busy week here and hopefully some warmer weather. Have a great week, my sweet friend! Looking forward to reading with you this summer :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails