Thursday, April 14, 2016

Ordinary Life - Daybook Post

Outside my window ~ 

Mostly big, gray clouds with intermittent sun.   Monday we enjoyed a beautiful morning storm that showered our garden with glorious rainwater.


But on Tuesday night, yowzer!  Did the skies over North Texas freak out!

Have you ever seen hail storm damage like this??


Not our house, but acquaintances of ours.  Every house on that street that was facing the north was pummeled.

I am thankful for ~

* the fact that our house wasn't destroyed by the hail

* a wonderful visit with my mom

* 2 employed teenagers!!!  Music to a parent's ears :)  (Miss Ester was recently hired on with the city's aquatics department as a swim instructor aide.)

What we are reading ~

I really haven't had the time between Easter and my mother's visit.  I need to work on it though.

However, Stan the man just finished reading this for fun ::


He loved it and I just ordered the sequel, The Black Star.

From the school room ~

* We are just finishing up with week 31.  That means only 5 weeks left!!  So excited :)

* Miss Sally took a college campus tour of St. Gregory's University in Shawnee, OK.  It is small, Catholic, and only 3 hours from Dallas.

* Miss Sally took the ACT last Saturday.  (She took the new SAT in March; results for that won't be back until May.)



I am praying for ~

* a nice recovery for Miss Sally who had her wisdom teeth removed today.  All four were impacted, poor thing.


Fuzziness is due to the high risk of a mother being skinned alive for taking a photo of said teenage daughter's recovery.   ;)

She was enjoying her first meal of the day, Macaroni and Cheese.

Around the house ~

New summer sandals were in order.




The cost of 6 pairs of shorts and 1 belt for 2 teenage girls.  We hit up Plato's Closet, a retail shop for teens.


Actually, I've seen adults shopping there and it is like, holy moly.

As my friend Jen said, "Just because it's in your size doesn't mean you should wear it!"


Miss Ester celebrated another Baptism birthday this week.


That box in the photo?  It is a Sacrament keepsake box.  They are the BEST!  Each child has one and they keep their cards and mementos from every Sacrament they've received safely inside.


After lighting her own Baptism candle, we sing Happy Birthday, and then the kids always receive a small, faith-based gift.


Miss Ester received her own holy water font to hang next to her desk or somewhere in her bedroom.  Someday, she can hang it in her own house.


Isn't it beautiful?

I think all of our kids have one now, except Miss Sally.

From the kitchen ~

I did not do any Easter baking since I was up in KC visiting my sister and her family.  So I baked (and froze) a lamb cake for this Sunday, Good Shepherd Sunday.

I'll decorate it Saturday night and hopefully, it'll look like this one I've made before.


(That's about as crafty with cake decorating that I can get.)

I am listening to ~

the sound of Star Trek.  Miss Sally is watching it on the laptop while she recovers.

Coming down the pike this week (end) ~

* Friday - Grocery shopping

* Saturday - Goat tying clinic 2.0 for Ester and Mabel

A last photo to share ~


Garden snails.  These little buggers are so destructive.

Come to find out, they LOVE marigolds (which are  were in my garden "to keep pests away").  I've lost 2 cucumber plants and all the leaves to the marigolds.  Of course I pulled the flowers out and spread table salt all around the edge of my garden wall.  No snails since.

Have a great weekend and a blessed Sunday!

~  Patty  ~

8 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh hope your patient feels better soon!
    And I adore white new summer sandals!
    Have a nice evening, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Holy Water fount... so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been talking about wisdom teeth this week - it's a ticking time bomb...just waiting until the dentist or ortho says they need to come out. I guess it's another one of those rights of passage, huh?
    So happy to hear that you all made it through the storm okay. Crazy weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Cow, that hail!!! Those poor people and their house.
    I hope your daughter is feeling better by now. I'm sure that surgery is no fun.
    And your lamb cake is adorable! You are very talented to be able to pull that off. It must have been difficult.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so good to stop in and catch up again. I hope Sally has a speedy recovery. I had mine taken out just after we got married and I remember well that recovery. No fun. Beautiful holy water font for Ester and those sacrament boxes- what a great idea! Blessings on your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope she recovers quickly from her extractions. I had a hard time when I got mine out. That was some hailstones! Those sandals were so cute...or maybe it was the wearer that was so cute!☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope she recovers quickly from her extractions. I had a hard time when I got mine out. That was some hailstones! Those sandals were so cute...or maybe it was the wearer that was so cute!☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Patty! Seeing that lamb cake made me smile. My brother made one for Easter and brought it over to our house for a triumphant desert. But...it didn't cook all the way through! The head and back end were perfect, but the inside looked like pudding.
    Today, we were all over at his house for the hockey game, and he tried it again. Much better! Still a little soft in the middle, but he's getting there. I wonder if you had to use trial and error to get it just right?

    I hope your daughter recovers soon. I remember those days, I felt so bad! You know, it looks like she's giving a 'thumbs up' to you in the photo, doesn't it?
    Have a peaceful night. Then go get those snails!!!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails