Monday, March 14, 2016

Passiontide

I came across this beautiful post over the weekend and it gave me much food for thought.  Wanting to know even more about Passiontide,  I headed over to EWTN to read the reflections for this fifth week of Lent.

No sooner did I fill up my spiritual tank visiting EWTN, I found another blog post regarding Passiontide by Mary.

I definitely think God is speaking to me.  :)

EWTN Lent & Easter 2016 ::

Passiontide is the last two weeks of Lent, when the readings and prayers of the liturgy focus on the Passion of Our Lord. The word 'passion', in the Christian sense, does not mean an intense emotion; it refers to the historical events of Jesus' suffering and death. Although for several centuries the Fifth Sunday of Lent was known as Passion Sunday, after the Second Vatican Council this name was restored to the Sunday at beginning of Holy Week , formerly called Palm Sunday. As a penitential season of the Church, Passiontide is evidently even more ancient than Lent


Reflection for the week (EWTN) ~  

Prayer to be Freed of the Seven Deadly Sins
O meek Savior and Prince of Peace, implant in me the virtues of gentleness and patience. Let me curb the fury of anger and restrain all resentment and impatience so as to overcome evil with good, attain your peace, and rejoice in your love.
O Model of humility, divest me of all pride and arrogance. Let me acknowledge my weakness and sinfulness, so that I may bear mockery and contempt for your sake and esteem myself as lowly in your sight.
O Teacher of abstinence, help me to serve you rather than our appetites. Keep me from gluttony - the inordinate love of food and drink and let me hunger and thirst for your justice.
O Lover of purity, remove all lust from my heart, so that I may serve you with a pure mind and a chaste body.
O Father of the poor, help me to avoid all covetousness for earthly goods and give me a love for heavenly things. Inspire me to give to the needy, just as you gave your life that I might inherit eternal treasures.
O Exemplar of love, keep me from all envy and ill-will. Let the grace of your love dwell in me that I may rejoice in the happiness of others and bewail their adversities.
O zealous Lover of souls, keep me from all sloth of mind or body. Inspire me with zeal for your glory, so that I may do all things for you and in you. Amen.
That's a pretty powerful prayer, isn't it?
After some more pondering in my heart, I am desiring to allow God to make Passiontide more effective in my own spiritual journey.  Having had two birthday celebrations in our house recently, and with the feasts of St. Patrick and St. Joseph coming up, blogging, other social media, there has been too many noisy distractions for me this Lenten season.  Too much noise allows for those seven deadly sins to try to enter in the weak parts of my castle.  I don't have time for that! 
I love when God speaks to me and love it even better when I actually listen to Him!  I'm going to be fortifying my castle walls these last couple of weeks which includes signing off from my blog until Easter.  
My prayer for you is that the remaining two weeks of Lent be constructive and fertile in your own spiritual journey.  God bless you :)
~  Patty  ~


3 comments:

  1. Amen. Thanks for sharing Patty. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty! Thank you for your prayers for this Passiontide. I now have my daughter and her family here for the week (it's their Spring Break), and life is hectic and noisy! I have asked the Lord to take these efforts for a good visit and use them as an offering. I know I won't have time for quiet prayer and reflection with three kids, ages 4,2, and 7 months.
    That's why I so appreciate your prayers for us.
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails