Tuesday, November 3, 2015

November Memories - Daybook Post

Outside my window ~

Overcast and cool right now.  (Cool for Texas standards ;)  It's suppose to be in the upper 70's again.

It kind of looks November out.

I am thankful for ~

* the memories of my deceased father and father-in-law.

* the smell of newborn baby.  My friend just had her 7th child, and I got to hold him yesterday.

* this little boy who God put in our family!


Today we celebrate Stan's adoption day!!  We had a minimum 6 month waiting period to legally adopt state side once we brought him home the previous April.

What I am reading ~

David and I are getting ready to begin this at home retreat...


We will  start it THIS Friday, Nov. 6, and it ends on the Feast of The Immaculate Conception, Dec. 8.

From the school room ~

* Juggling school material and outside school activities can be tricky sometimes, especially for the older kids.

My personal thoughts::  I am pretty firm on insisting things get done.  For my household, school work comes first.  I do bend like the reeds when necessary, but that means kids have to do school over the weekend (either ahead of time, or after the fact.)  I am not sure if that is the old teacher in me or the organizing coming out of me.  It's probably both.  (I really dislike the anxiety that "having to catch up" causes.  So we avoid it as much as possible.)

* Sally juggled school work and a 25 hour life guard certification course the past two weeks.  Last Friday, she became a certified life guard and certified in CPR!

(I cannot keep up with this active and determined teenager!  She knows what she wants and goes for it.)

* Religion - Living Liturgy

This November, I chose the following feast days to celebrate at home:

November 6 - Sally's Baptism Day
November 11 - Saint Martin of Tours
November 13 - Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini (Sally's Confirmation saint)
November 16 - Mabel's Baptism Day
November 17 - Saint Elizabeth of Hungary
November 22 - Saint Cecilia (Miss Clementine's patron saint)

Around the house ~

Our homeschool group had a wonderful All Saints Day celebration this past Sunday.  Even though it rained all day and into the night, the huge pole barn kept us dry and happy.

The Rosary.  (14 out of 38 families were able to participate.  There were 72 people there.)



Besides hot dogs, the there was a popcorn bar and a dessert table.


(Both photos were taken by my friend, Kathi.)

From the kitchen ~

Remember this ugly critter?




It turned into a wild pig dish that tasted absolutely A-MA-ZING!!!



It was (and looked like) the consistency of beef.  No lie.  (And I am not a wild game lover.) The sauce it soaked in overnight took away ALL wild game taste.  


I am listening to ~

The girls chit chatting while schooling upstairs.  I'm so glad that they have each other.  :)

The dish washer draining.

Miss Clementine crying because she cannot have a piece of  candy for breakfast. :)


Coming down the pike this week ~
Sunday - All Saints party
Monday - Scoliosis check up in Dallas
Tuesday - Stan's adoption day
Wednesday - CCD
Thursday - PT for Sally's knee
Friday - Sally's baptism birthday
Saturday - Horse riding event for Ester and Mabel
Sunday - R.E.S.T.

A last photo to share ~

The inside of Mabel's pregnant pumpkin!


It looked rather gross, to be honest.  Have you ever had a pumpkin growing pumpkins inside?  (A first for us!)  I think it was because of the very hot fall we had down here.

Have a great week!

~  Patty  ~

3 comments:

  1. I think we might have had a few tears (or stomping) about candy for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I caught my 13 year old having candy for breakfast...she should totally know better!

    Pretty sure we have the Morning Glory book somewhere, the challenge now is to find it soon!

    I am finding, too, that the older kids take a whole different kind of energy...energy that I often don't have! It's a tough balance - allowing the teens to do what they need to do and still getting work done with the middle and little ones, isn't it?! But, life is so good and I feel so blessed to be home with these people all the time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patty! I really like Michael Gaitley, and I have heard this is a really good book. I dedicated myself to Mary using St. Louis de Montfort's book. It was a great experience.
    You are busy as always! I can't imagine home-schooling your crew, but you sure are doing wonderful things. Congrats on your son's adoption day! I know that must have been a beautiful day and celebration.
    Wild pig? I give you a lot of credit my friend. I don't know if I could get over the idea of where the meat came from...I know that's weird :)
    Have a wonderful week,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails