Monday, November 30, 2015

I've Been Thinking (Again)

One of our deacons gave the homily at Mass this past Sunday.  He was talking about Advent and at one point used the phrase, "...missed opportunities."

Missed opportunities.



Regrettably, I have had one too many of those with my rapidly sprouting 3 year old.  I have been "too busy" taking care of everyone else to spend quality time with my baby girl.  This past October, I started making a bigger effort to spend more hands-on time with her, to become more engaged with her in her little world.

There's also those missed opportunities in my spiritual life.  (Don't we all have those?)



Layering more faith-based activities on top of my felt like dry foundation since the beginning of fall has helped me grow and branch out in other areas.

One of the layers I added was attendance at a weekday mass.  No, this isn't a blow my horn, look at me statement,  but rather a simple sharing of the fact.  David and I have made this change together.   Wednesdays (his day off) will find us at early morning Mass, just him and I.  (Sometimes one of the kids go...if they are up in time.)   I love Wednesday mornings now!  It isn't just a hump day in the middle of the week anymore, but rather a time for rebooting the graces that have shrunk from the Sunday prior.  And gosh! how I've needed that...kind of like needing to take extra vitamin D as you age, ladies.

Lastly, there's those missed opportunities for "me time".




Me time.  Mom time.  Alone time.

I use to dislike the "me time" phrase that women would throw out, and then I realized it was the way that phrase was being used and abused selfishly.  The bottom line is, moms really do need some "me time" every once in awhile.  Recharging the batteries in this area of our life is a necessity.  Period.

I have been more acutely aware of our calendar lately and am saying "no" to many things, especially during the Advent season we now find ourselves in.  With that, I find myself already reaping the rewards from the slower pace.  I can classify these benefits under mom time (i.e. have a phone conversation with someone without being rushed to drive someone somewhere), me time (i.e. drink a cup of coffee while it's hot), and alone time (i.e.  do something I want and uninterrupted).

Just tonight I was able to spontaneously meet up with three friends for a cup of cheer (Saxby coffee house) before the frenzy pace of Christmas kicks in for them.  The evening was such a delight, a great recharge.




As we now enter the season of Advent, I pray that you, too,  recognize past "missed opportunities" and experience in their place, a very fruitful season of expecting, waiting, hoping, and praying.

Advent blessings!

~  Patty  ~







9 comments:

  1. Yes! Yes! Missed opportunities. I feel like I have had a lot of them with each of the kids and am trying to slow down and settle in. I think most of it is just "perfectionist"/there's so much stuff to be done around home me that gets in the way. We really are minimalists and enjoy the slower pace of life at home, but then I also see so many projects and tasks that I need to take care of. And yes, it's not even just with the kids, it can be in so many other avenues of life.

    Thank you for the reminder to take advantage of the opportunities whether for myself or others, including God, this Advent. Good for you and David getting to Mass during the week!! That's a great way to be spiritually fed and also take advantage of it along with your spouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. And I shall join you, my wise friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty, it is so good to read your musings here! I too am so tired this year and need to restrain myself from wanting to do it all as you know. Of course, there will always be missed opportunities, but I can't believe Elizabeth will be 4 in a few weeks. 4! How crazy is that? She is growing up so fast and I want to mentally store all of these fun memories. Like the impromptu outside to play in the new snow we got overnight. Even if took me longer to get the girls dressed to go outside than we actually stayed out (Katharine was getting cold and couldn't figure out how to walk in her snowsuit!)...it was worth it to hear her tell my husband when he got home about going outside and how excited she was to tell him about the snow. Thank you God for those moments! Happy Advent to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been trying to make a daily Mass or 2 each week also. It makes me sorry I have let this opportunity pass me by in years past. what a blessing to be able to attend with David.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your commitment and thank you for the reminder to seize the opportunities. God bless your holiday preparations, time with family and spiritual journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this, Patty! God bless you this Advent!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails