Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Getting Our Warmth On on The Feast of St. Martin de Tours

If you have followed my blog for a while, you know I like to celebrate different feast days throughout each month.

A new one to us is the Feast of St. Martin de Tours, (Nov. 11).

St. Martin and the cloak story...

There's a story of how on a very cold night, while riding with his fellow soldiers, he came across a beggar half naked.  St. Martin de Tours took his cloak and after splitting it into two pieces, he gave one piece to the the beggar.  His comrades laughed and made fun of Martin.  In a dream that night, Christ appeared to Martin wrapped in the cloak and surrounded by angels.  Christ asked Martin if he recognized the cloak.  When Martin did, he realized that he would completely devote his life to Christ.  Once a pagan, now a Christian.

Today, on the feast of St. Martin de Tours, I wrapped up something warm and cozy for each of our children; something they needed not wanted.



 Clockwise:: Sally needed a new sleep shirt, Ester needed some new sleeping pants, Mabel needed a new robe, Stan needed a new pair of pjs and so did Clementine.

I'd love to give credit to the mom who inspired me, but I cannot find the article where she talked about using the feast of St. Martin de Tours to gift her children with new pjs each fall.  So whoever she is, thank you!!  It was a GREAT idea, and the children truly appreciated the spontaneity!

St. Martin de Tours, patron saint of soldiers, pray for us!

~  Patty  ~




2 comments:

  1. What a cute idea to celebrate this feast day. I may just have to borrow the idea next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty! I am always so inspired by the ways you celebrate feast days. In my family, we definitely remembered our own, but not all the others on the calendar.
    The idea of using Martin's life to create a gift that reflects it is just so creative! I know you got the idea from someone else, but I so enjoyed learning about it. You should write a book about the saint's feasts, and then how to celebrate it with the family. Really! It would be a 'hit' I think!
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails