Friday, October 30, 2015

"Don't bother me ... I'm thinking."

I find myself relating more and more to Ralphie Parker these days.

(Photo credit for all photos :: google search)


Remember that infamous, decoder bathroom scene?

"I'll be right down (out)....Gee whiz!"  (Wish I could just do my business without anyone screaming for me.)

(Photo credit :: google search)

And then there's this one...


"Only I didn't say FUDGE.  I said THE word, the BIG one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the F-dash-dash-dash word."

~ So, I've been thinking about December.

I've decided for the month of December I'm going to say the big NO word a lot more to activities and social events especially geared toward my high school kids.

I love my teenagers!  Man, teenagers do a lot with friends away from family (or their activities require you to postpone 'family activities').

The 3 pre-Christmas dates blacked out on our December calendar already? I'm hoping to keep it  just to those 3.

I really don't want to be doing this ...


... on Christmas Eve.  (And I really do love to send cards so don't tell me to give them up :)

~ I've been thinking about my faith lately.  A lot.

Where am I going? How can I grow more spiritually?  (Cuz it ain't ever over as some people think.)

David and I are excited about making a spiritual retreat at home through 33 Days to Morning Glory



We will start it on November 5, ending on the feast of The Immaculate Conception.  Want to join us? In spirit? I hope you can if you haven't already made this retreat yourself.

What inspired this?  More like WHO inspired this!



A true story based on the life of Chiara Corbel Petrillo who gave her life to save her unborn child.  Her love for Christ, the Cross, and Mary moved me to tears.

This woman IS A SAINT!!

~ I have been thinking about ...



My hormones were playing hard ball this summer.  I tried to blame it on my thyroid disease, but nope! That's working fine on my current prescription.

Talked to my oldest sister, Mary, about pre menopause stuff.  (I'm so glad I don't have to go through it first!)  She just smiled and said, "Oh girl, you are just getting started."  WTH?

I thought I was "just getting started" way back when I was 36 years old, so when things really, really ramped up this summer I was like, here we go.  And I'm only now at the beginning?  Dang.

David was like YeeHaw! So long, NFP!

I was like, sorry dude, that's when NFP is REALLY important.  Remember your SIL conceiving at the age of 49??

BTW, have I ever told you how much progesterone cream helps alleviate the nasty symptoms??  I've used it for years, but wow! What a difference it has made at this point in life!  (I use a natural cream.)

Until tomorrow,

~ Hot Flash ~ (David's nickname for me.)

13 comments:

  1. Oh Patty, I'm right there with you on so many of these! Teens, slowing down, and menopause. I have older sisters who told me the exact thing and a friend told me of a friend she knew who conceived at 55! :0
    So maybe Craig and David should have a support group together. :)

    I have been wanting to do a home retreat since it's too busy to get away from home right now. I'll look into it. Thanks and my prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, "Hot Flash", that had me rolled over!! So funny. Yikes, just when I was kinda thinking menopause was the way to go. EEkk. I guess I'll be holding tight for a while and making sure I'm watching all these fun bodily changes over the next ten+ years closely. For now, I'm just trying to work with the postpartum ones. ha.

    Your December sounds blissful and I bet making the decision to say NO will be so beneficial for your Advent with your family. I'm trying not to feel stressed every time I think of all the things I'd normally have done or at least started way before Advent. I've got to stay focused and keep breathing.

    We did the 33 Days to Morning Glory a couple years ago and really loved it. I'll be praying along with you. As for Chiara, I really need to read more on her since you aren't the first one recently mentioning her and I don't really know her story.

    Happy feast of All Saints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't started shopping, not sure when I will. It all seems so overwhelming this year since we had so many huge events going on the past 5 months. I'm trying to take things one day at a time, living in the moment, but my ability to handle things in a joy-filled manner is less than stellar!

      Delete
  3. You'll love 33 Days. It was a wonderful retreat. And manageable being broken down by day. I'm not giving up my Christmas cards either. I love sending them, I just wish more people still did! I enjoy seeing everyone's families and hearing the tidbits from the last year.

    Menopause. Ay yi yi. I'm thankful for your frankness! Seriously! It's good to hear about what's coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Menopause symptoms. I am really trying to keep a good spirit about it since I do not ever want to teach my own daughters that their true femininity is evil, bad, wrong, horrible, etc. I'm not a femin-nazi (as my late FIL referred to them ;). I want to embrace this beautiful gift that God gave us, but figuring out how to do it along the way, well, it can be challenging.

      Delete
  4. Patty, you are so funny. I think it's great how open and honest you are in this post.
    I'm all for the "no" word. It's very freeing.
    I have no pre-menopause symptoms yet, unless moodiness is one of them. But I've always been moody.
    I'm off to check out the 33 day retreat. I may join you! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freeing! Yes! That's going to be my new mantra. I had been using "bend with the reeds" but I have done enough bending for awhile ;)

      Delete
  5. I know just how you feel -- about all of it. I'm going to try to get all my Christmas shopping finished in November so I don't have to worry about it during Advent. And we're have blacked out weeks with nothing going on the calendar. Life is crazy enough with all these grown-up kids coming home to eat and do laundry and the one not-grown-up kid's dance schedule.I never thought my life could get so out of control. I think menopause makes us less able to handle the chaos! (too much chaos going on inside!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel out-of-control, doesn't it? I love having ambitious teens who want to work, are social, and want to spread their wings. Does it get easier with the younger ones? Or is it more difficult with your first one or two as you figure out how to keep activities in check? It seems to be a hell of a lot busier with my teens than when I had a bunch of little ones at home.

      Delete
  6. I love you , Patty!
    I relate. I decided a few years ago to say NO in December.
    It passes too quickly.
    There will be time for all that other stuff.
    And I am the same!
    I was told I was premenopausal before we had Flynn.
    Now... It's ramping up!
    Not physical as much... More mental. More emotional. Worrying...anxiety...ugh.
    Anyway...we're in this together. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am at a totally different part of life than you, but I loved this post! I also have the important things to me scheduled for December already and I am not going to take on extras. (Easier when my kids are 3 and 1) I also love Christmas Cards and wish more people would still send them. I will have to look at that 33 Day Retreat, we could use something like that in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how I wish mine were that little again, Madeline! I'm sure you've heard it a hundred times, and it may not seem like it when things are hairy, but the time passes too quickly :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails