Sunday, June 7, 2015

Summer is in High Gear - Daybook post

Outside my window ~

As I type this, it has been 10 days since our last rainfall.  Lakes, rivers, and streams are slowly receding.  Texas is returning to its normal sizzle.

His boredom buster...



I am thankful for ~

* Pink things drying on the line.


* A house that wasn't affected by the terrible flooding

* A severe drought that lasted years

Lake Lavon is about 15 minutes from our house.  These pictures are from the drought, and then after the rains fell during May.





What I am reading ~

Rocking the Cradle Catholic :  Raising Little Saints in a Lukewarm Culture

I really like the book, the material and format.  I am actually reading this with some moms from our home school group.


From the school room ~
Miss Mabel entered an essay contest.  She had to write a 650-1000 word essay on a Catholic,  historical character who influenced the times he lived in.  The character she chose to write about was Blessed Junipero Serra, a Franciscan Missionary who fought for better laws to protect American Indians and taught the Indians how to farm, read, and write, and introduced God to them.

(We are waiting for the publishing company to announce the winner.)


Around our house ~

* The Lego Americana Roadshow - A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.  and free!


All made out of Lego's, these scaled replicas were depictions of some of  our country's greatest historical monuments.



That would be Mt. Rushmore with an added character, President Business from The Lego Movie.

* Plenty of liquid adventures!




* Life ::

Tick Tack Toe - boredom buster - Dollar Tree version  (shower curtain, masking tape, and Frisbees)

Swim party for  Miss Mabel and friends from our home school group

My little laundry assistant

David and Miss Sally took in a Rangers/ White Sox game.

Miss Clementine's first, plastic swimming pool


* We celebrated Stan the man's Baptism birthday last week.

From the kitchen ~

I made Sarah's (crock pot) Apple Dump cake two weekends in a row!


2 cans of apple pie filling, 1/2 cup of butter, 1 boxed yellow cake mix.  That's it!

It smelled yummy-licious as it cooked in the crock pot all afternoon...


But!  If only we had our Blue Bell ice cream back :(


 From someone else's kitchen ~

The love of my life woke me up early on Saturday morning, (6:30 in fact), and told me to get dressed for a surprise breakfast out.  We were in Dallas by 7:00am at Crossroads Diner.  

We split a sticky bun, and then I ordered Eggs Florentine.  Oh my word!  Made from scratch, delicious-ness!!


The occasion?  We just really needed a date! 


I am praying for ~

* flood victims in Texas (and in Oklahoma)

* the safety of all campers at horse camp this week

* for the safety and spiritual growth of all the youth attending the Catholic Heart Work Camp in Denver next week  (Miss Sally and Ester leave on Saturday.)

* for all those who have asked me to pray for them


Coming the pike this week ~

* Monday-Friday - horse camp for Miss Ester and Miss Mabel
* Tuesday - Archery (for Stan)
* Tuesday - PT for Miss Sally's swimmer's knee
* Tuesday - Feast day - St. Columbcille (a.k.a. St. Columba)
* Wednesday - Ballet for Miss Clementine
* Saturday - Miss Sally and Ester depart on their week-long mission trip



A last photo to share ~



With 4 girls in one bathroom, they need all the space saving they can get!!

David installed 2 roll out shelves in one side of their double vanity. *(He builds, sells, and installs these.)   

It's been on my "to do" list for quite some time.   The other vanity (sink base) we left untouched since the plumbing takes up so much of the space.

Have a great week!!

~  Patty ~

12 comments:

  1. Oh… we miss Blue Bell! We got desperate and tried some Costco brand junk. Just. No. It was awful. My husband pulled out a homemade ice cream machine that we had been given last year but have never used and declared that we will only experiment with homemade until Blue Bell is back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty! I'm so glad that you weren't flooded in the Texas rains. The images we were getting on the national news were just devastating. I hope your new flowers will do well!
    The before/after photos of that Lake are jaw-dropping. What a difference!!

    I looked up that Rocking the Cradle Catholic on Amazon just now. I was thinking about giving it as a gift to my SIL. It looks like it's mostly for women. What do you think? Would he relate or feel it was too slanted toward moms?
    Hope your Sunday is peaceful...kids in the pool?
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your summer seems to be starting of very nicely, Patty!
    We haven't had warm enough weather to break out the plastic pool, but someone is waiting!
    Have a great rest of the week with those adorable kiddos! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those drawers in the bathroom! So nice! My kids would love that Lego exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to check that book out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad Texas got rain! How scary though that so many ended up with damage. Congrats to Stan. Love all the pool pics. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It makes me feel so happy to see all the fun you all are having. Those Lego creations are amazing. You know how to celebrate and have summer fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It makes me feel so happy to see all the fun you all are having. Those Lego creations are amazing. You know how to celebrate and have summer fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It makes me feel so happy to see all the fun you all are having. Those Lego creations are amazing. You know how to celebrate and have summer fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That before and after picture of the drought is startling. Wow. I'm so glad you house/family were generally unscathed from all that terrible weather.
    How sweet that your husband planned an early morning date. What a great way to start the weekend. And he's quite a talented guy as well.
    Those Legos are amazing.
    I will prayer for your girls that they enjoy their camp and have safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many things and I'm so behind on reading from everyone.....

    Summer is off to a great start at your house! How do you do it? I managed to breathe and walk around slowly today in the 90 degree heat and that was enough for me. ha!

    The Lego thing is so awesome. I really wish it came closer to us than the other side of WI. The AM date with hubby, how awesome is that?! The food looked wonderful. Glad that the dump cake worked out for you because seriously, so easy. And yummy.

    Will be praying for Sally & Ester as they are off on their mission trip. Keep on enjoying the summer days and all the water fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to have to try that dump cake! Good for hot days when you don't want to turn on the oven!!! Morning date....so sweet!!! I'm amazed at the free stuff you find to do...you're amazing!!!
    Daddy put in some of the roll out shelves in their kitchen...makes it a lot easier for him to find things that are in the back of the cabinet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails