Thursday, June 25, 2015

Homemade Suzy Q's


For Father's Day, my husband requested a homemade Suzy Q cake.  Our kids had no clue what a Suzy Q even was.  We laughed when we reminisced how back in the day only a handful of kids were lucky enough to have them in their sack lunches...and neither of us were part of that elite group.  We coveted those who brought in their beautifully packaged, carcinogen delightfulness!


Because I love my guy to the moon and back, I searched for a recipe and found one here.

Ingredients (Cake) ::

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

Ingredients (Filling) ::

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 1/4 cups marshmallow fluff (1  7 oz container)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions ::

1. Whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking soda in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.

2.  In a large mixing bowl, beat together the milk, eggs, and softened butter.

3.  Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and beat on low speed until combined.

4.  Increase speed to high and beat for three minutes until the batter is smooth and increased in volume.

(It reminded me of a chocolate mousse)


5.  Pour the dough into a greased 9 x 13" cake pan.

6.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

7.  While the cake cools, make the filling.

8.  Beat together the butter, confectioners' sugar, marshmallow fluff, and vanilla at high speed until light and fluffy.


9.  Cut the cooled cake into rectangles of desired size.  Then, slice through the middle each rectangle piece into two pieces...



10.  Spread 1-2 tbsp of filling over half of the rectangles and cover with the remaining rectangles.    Sprinkle with powder sugar.


David loved these!

*This recipe yielded 12 separate Suzy Q cakes.

Enjoy!

~ Patty ~

6 comments:

  1. Oh man, I never had those either! But I'll be making these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I will have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was very rare when I got the goodies that were pre-packaged, too, but looking back, I bet other kids were jealous that I got homemade stuff!
    I'm going to have to try this recipe...am pinning for later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of them but they look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of them but they look yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails