Wednesday, May 6, 2015

St. Peregrine, Patron Saint of Cancer Victims


May 1 was the feast day of St. Peregrine, patron saint of cancer victims.   His conversion and miraculous recovery from cancer story can be found here.


We chose to learn more about St. Peregrine in our Living Liturgy program since cancer runs in our family.  My father passed away from bladder cancer on October 12, 2006.  Cardinal Francis George recently passed away from the same cancer.  The two men met at Loyola University while they were both being treated for their cancer.  They exchanged cards of hope and encouragement; my mother still has the card my father received from Cardinal Francis George.


My late father-in-law was a colon cancer survivor (as well as a massive stroke survivor) only to pass away from Alzheimer's in April of 2014.  My brother-in-law has recently been diagnosed with cancer.  
We are very familiar with the C word as I know many of my readers are or have been personally afflicted with it as well.

I added this statue to our saint collection, finding it on Amazon for around $16 (prime).  It is a beautiful 6" piece from the St. Joseph's collection.

St. Peregrine, pray for us!

~  Patty  ~



11 comments:

  1. Amen.
    Thank you Patty...
    I always come away from here learning something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful statue. Heart disease runs in our family. Now I'll have to go research the patron saint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. St. John of God is patron saint of heart disease. His feast day is March 8. Our daughter had one heart surgery as an infant and her birthday is on his feast day! That is a God thing!

      Delete
  3. I am glad you posted this. I just might have to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you posted this. I just might have to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful statue. So many to pray for! St. Peregrine, pray for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pray for us! Beautiful statue and I didn't know this about St. Peregrine. I will keep your brother-n-law in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love be Saint Peregrine. We just learned of him in this past year. That's a beautiful statue!
    Prayers for your brother-in-law!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails