Friday, May 8, 2015

Something Wicked This Way Comes!

Last night, my weather alert radio went off for the first time this spring.  I knew it was bad since I had it set to go off for Severe Thunderstorm Warnings and Tornado Warnings.  It about made me mess my britches!  When I have  it set for the bad stuff and the alarm goes off....well, enough said.

I hate tornado season in Texas.

I hate not having a basement.

I do not want to end up in Kansas.


(She almost made me  mess my britches as a kid!)

Dang!

So, I knew it was bad when I saw my windows moving and vibrating enough that I thought they would break or shatter.

I knew it was bad when I went upstairs to check on the girls and the attic stairs (which is the attic ladder style) started heaving, as though it was being sucked up and then released while in its casement.

I knew it was bad when I found Miss Ester and Miss Mabel looking out the window.  "What are you two doing?"   To which they replied, "Waiting for the tree to snap."

I knew it was bad when I heard a thumping noise on the rooftop above Miss Clementine's bedroom ceiling.  (Loose shingles).

80 mph gusts will do that you now.

Then it passed.  (Thank you, Jesus.)

And then there are those poor folks up in Oklahoma.  Good grief.

I hate tornado season in Texas.

Praying for a calm weekend even though the forecast says storms are predicted all weekend.

Happy Friday!

~  Patty  ~


12 comments:

  1. Scary! Waiting for the tree to snap!! I'm glad it passed. Crazy Texas weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. That must have been so scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry. That must have been so scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We hate it when those sirens go off, but they go off in the entire county whenever there is a warning so it's rather hard to take them seriously. I admit, however, to only having a handful of incidents that look like real tornado weather. I am so grateful for the basement. Did you know St. Barbara is the patron of storms? I think it's more related to lightning, but I say close enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very scary! I'm glad that you all are safe and sound. I love Clementine's new pic...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how scary. I'm glad you made it through that practically unscathed. (although, sounds like you need roof repair and maybe other things?) We had a hurricane a few years ago (Sandy....it hit mostly the Jersey shore and we are in PA) and even small things like a downed tree and loss of power for a few days can be such a nuisance/inconvenience. But nothing like the total devastation some people face. So sad.
    Prayers for calm for you guys this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually find weather exciting, but would also be fearful of what you described. So glad you are all safe and pray that that was the worst of your season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Storms scare me- growing up in Ohio, I vividly remember hiding in an under house space with a transistor radio waiting for the "all clear" to come out. California doesn't have that, but we do get some pretty fun shakers sometimes (scary for an Ohio girl!). Hope all is well where you are and you are soon storm free!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Mother's Day. I have a little gift for you over at my blog. http://homeschooljournal-bergblog.blogspot.com/2015/05/best-mom-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eeekkk!!! I don't like storms and my kids are much the same .With a two story house, you can feel and hear that wind in the upstairs bedrooms. I almost always head for the basement even if the sirens haven't gone off, but I see the local spotters go out. And then there's my husband who stands on the porch watching the storm....aargh.
    Prayers that you are kept safe and sound. Keep the holy water handy and bless your house whenever the winds and rain start up. We always did that growing up and prayed the St. Michael prayer, one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Patty! I'm so glad you made it through the storm! That shuddering ladder would have about done me in. I know what you mean about basements. My daughter and son (Indiana and Washington state) don't have them either. It would be nice to have that to go to when the winds start to blow!
    I'm just glad you're safe.
    Happy Mothers Day :)
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails