Sunday, March 15, 2015

Mandarin Orange Cake

This was another one I found over at South Your Mouth.

Mandarin Orange Cake



I love fruit, and a whipped cream frosting always seems to make a dessert lighter on the stomach compared to a butter cream frosting.  (But I'd still take a butter cream frosting over a whipped cream any day!)

The kids LOVED this one!

David?  Not so much because he claimed he doesn't like fruit in cake.  (Well why did you eat it then?)

Myself?  I only liked it.   Why? Because it kind of gave me a throw back to the 70's potluck days at church when you could be sure to find jello molds upon jello molds.


Because the kids LOVED it, I'm putting it on the blog.  I actually really liked the cake itself, but the frosting, not so much.


Ingredients for cake:

1 box yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 (11oz) can mandarin oranges, with juice

Ingredients for frosting:

1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple, with juice
1 large box instant vanilla pudding mix (5.1oz)
1 (16 oz) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed

Garnish:

1 (11 oz) can mandarin oranges, drained


Directions for cake:

1.  Grease and flour three round cake pans (*I used two) and set aside.  Combine wet ingredients (including oranges and juice) and beat on medium speed with electric mixer until thoroughly combined.  Add cake mix and beat on low speed for two minutes.  Pour evenly into pans and bake per cake mix manufacturer's instruction.  Cool cakes completely.

Directions for frosting:

1.  With rubber spatula or with the paddle attachment of an electric mixer set on low, gently fold together all frosting ingredients until thoroughly combined.  Frost cake.  Garnish with mandarin oranges.  (I did not use up all the frosting that was suggested.)

Refrigerate until ready to serve.  Store in refrigerator.


As I type this post, I think the next time I make the cake, I may end up tweaking the frosting a bit.

**Update**

This cake is actually REALLY GOOD on day 2!!  When I make this again, it will definitely be made the day before it is needed so it has a chance to firm and chill thoroughly in the refrigerator for a good day.

Enjoy!

~  Patty  ~

5 comments:

  1. I'm with your hubby on this one - why ruin a perfectly good cake with fruit? If I'm eating dessert, it's gotta be sweet and preferably chocolate! (although, I'd probably eat it if it was in front of me, too!) And it does look very '70s! If I made this, I'd be tempted to have a green jello mold to go along with it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that it looks yummy and also sounds light and fresh. I can get though about the jello molds and fruit in cake. This does seem like a perfect springy time cake, so maybe that's why it's appealing to me? Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that cake! We call it Pig Pickin' Cake -- a recipe handed down by my mother-in-law. It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making that TOMORROW!!!! Thanks! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you: give me buttercream frosting any day! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails