Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Chores & Chore Charts

I put this post up knowing each family has its own ebb and flow that requires a unique routine to help mama get the house work done.  As the family grows, the needs change, and that includes house chores, from who is capable of doing what (age appropriate of course, but don't underestimate), to how often the chores should and could be done.

This is our (current) routine which really has been successful in our house for a number of years.  It was tweaked around a book I read some years back,  Smart Martha's Catholic Guide for Busy Moms.


Not only did this author confirm what I already was putting into practice, but she gave me ideas to help me further implement a chore routine.  The bottom line is, the kids, David, and I, we are a team, and it takes a team effort to keep the house picked up, let alone clean.


The chart.   I needed something up on the fridge for everyone to see.  I wanted to respect my kids, especially my teenagers, so I tried to veer away from babyish charts.  I also wanted something FREE to write on.  There are plenty of FREE chore charts online.  I just picked one that filled our need, printed it, and started to fill it in.

We have two weeks that have some different routines.  We rotate them throughout the calendar.

Week A


* I decided to keep the kids on these particular tasks for a month as to ensure that they would really learn how to complete (clean) them.  In addition, I did not want to be teaching how to clean every single week.


Week B


Many hands make work light!  

Sometimes, there are weeks that we just get the floors vacuumed, dishes cleaned, and laundry done because life happens.  And that is okay!  A former neighbor up in Illinois, Eleanor,  gave me some sound advice when I was a very young mommy: "A place for everything, and everything in its place."  That has always been my back up plan when we have those hectic weeks.

As for the kitchen: 

One daughter washes dishes for the month.
Another daughter dries dishes for the month.
And another daughter will vacuum the kitchen tile  for the month.
Stan helps with unloading the dishwasher.
Mom, of course, helps them out with these throughout the day.  (It's all about the ebb and flow.)

*The kitchen chores are basic and so I do not feel the need to write them down.  I save the chart for the bigger ticket items.  If my kids were much younger, I would be doing the big ticket cleaning on my own and would be writing down the kitchen chores on this chart.*

Lastly, they have Monday-Saturday to complete the chores for the week.  Each one has a different school/ extra curricular activity schedule, so I give them the responsibility of figuring out how to fit it all in (with subtle reminders every now and then ;)

Seriously, I honestly could not juggle it all: the house cleaning, homeschool, grocery shop, cook, and run everyone to where they have to be if I did not have the help of the kids.  They are a HUGE help!  The multitude of values they are learning along the way are priceless.

**Addendum** Laundry

I just realized I left laundry off the list.  I had written a post, Streamlining the Laundry back in 2011.  It is pretty much the same, except Miss Mabel has since learned to run the washer and dryer.  


~  Patty  ~

2 comments:

  1. I like this! I can't do it alone either. We've got Anna going but Abigail not so much... this week if she could just get dressed herself before school... THAT would be a big help... ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post! I enjoy when others share how things work (or perhaps don't work) at their home. It always inspires or encourages me in our household as well. We seem to go through times where the chart works for a good while and then it fails. I am again in search of the best change for our household and getting everyone to be part of the team and helping. It's definitely a huge task to be doing it all (or most of it) on my own. Thanks for enlightening us and sharing what's working at your house.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails