Tuesday, February 3, 2015

San Antonio Missions With Grammy

While my mom was here last week, I drove her down to San Antonio for a couple of days.  She's always wanted to see San Antonio...The Alamo...River Walk,  (she's a John Wayne, Gregory Peck type of cowboy-lovin' lady).  I made the trip her Christmas gift, and am so glad I had the chance to take her!

Day 1 brought us  to The Alamo.  She was just amazed to be in the presence of hollowed grounds and amazing history.  



( I have more pictures of The Alamo and River Walk from this Alamo field trip post  two years ago.)


After checking into our hotel, we took a cab down to the River Walk for dinner.

You can pay these gentlemen ($10 a song) to stop and serenade your table.  They sang a couple for my mom and the kids...they were so enjoyable, and a new experience for my mom.




I would say the first day was perfect, but it wasn't.  The kids quarreled and bickered all the way in the car ride down...(so frustrating!)...and then something I ate did not sit well and I was feeling sick to my stomach.  (Thank God it passed and I felt better by morning!)

Day 2 was so much better!

After a good breakfast, we set out for San Fernando Cathedral...(Ester had just studied about it in Texas history).  What another AMAZING piece of history!!



(I hope they were talking to God in the tabernacle about their behavior ;)



In the vestibule of the church, I came upon this...




During the siege of The Alamo, President General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna had the remains of all the 189 men who died in the battle burned.  Those remains are in the crypt pictured above.

Next was a trip to see some more of the original San Antonio Missions.

Mission Concepcion (still an active parish) ::





We hopped  back in the car and headed to Mission San Jose. (Also an active parish.)

Being the largest mission of them all, there was extensive walking involved.  Mom just headed to the main gate and walked a little inside the area to get a peak.

(Photo from 2013 field trip.)

(Photo from 2013 field trip.)


I have many more beautiful pictures of Mission San Jose and Mission Concepcion from this field trip post two years ago.

We headed south on Mission Trail to see Mission Espada Aqueduct.


This aqueduct was completed in 1741, diverting a river water into a mother ditch.  It is still in operation today!


So fascinating!

It was considered the "lifeblood" of the Mission Espada, (another active parish).





The kids and I have been to the Missions a few times, but this was the first time we were able to see the aqueduct and Mission Espada.

It was close to 85 degrees that day!

We headed back for home happily exhausted from our travels and site seeing.  My mom saw a LOT so much.  I am so happy that we were able to do this with her.  So many great memories!


~  Patty  ~

3 comments:

  1. The Missions have my heart. You captured so many beautiful images: the archways-just love love love. The old world-ness, the faith, the bells, the what-it-must-have-been-like-dangers (to need those walls!) architecture. San Antonio is such a treasure. And the serenading to your mother- so sweet!
    Looks like y'all had a great get away for your mom's visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty! It must have been such a joy to be a travel leader for your Mom. I know I would have loved that. You have convinced me that a trip to San Antonio should be on my list. I LOVE old churches and missions. And I've always wanted to see the Alamo too.

    I am a wee bit jealous of your weather. It's so cold and snowy here in Illinois! Enjoy your sunshine, and if you'd like, you could send us some of it?
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like an amazing trip and so much beauty and history to behold. I bet your mom thoroughly enjoyed it with all of you. I had to laugh at the car ride and bickering. Thanks for keeping it real, 'cuz that's exactly how we'd be rolling down the road too.
    Great memories with Grammy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails