Monday, February 2, 2015

Grammy's Visit - Daybook Post

Outside my window ~

It's  sunny and should have a high of 46 today.  (Almost 40 degrees colder than last week.)


I am thankful for ~

* my mother

* our lovely visit

* the gorgeous weather she had while visiting

* memories


From the school room ~

* After taking a week off, we are hitting the books with mucho gusto.  This week will be our mid term week.  Already.

* We have only 14 weeks of school left.  (We can do this!)

*  We brought history class to life when Miss Ester was able to see San Fernando Cathedral, the oldest, Catholic church in Texas, while down in San Antonio last week.





From the kitchen ~

For Sunday dinner, I made some brisket.  (Recipe here).


Dessert was a batch of (to die for)  Butter Bars.  (Recipe here)



What I am reading ~

First, I have to say a big Thank You to Barbara for leading me to Goodreads!  The recommendations on Goodreads have never left me disappointed.

I just started (ahem, and finished) reading, The Girl on the Train.




Yowzer!   What a murder mystery with so many plot lines going on.  It was very hard to put the book down.  Don't look for anything spiritual or religious in this story though.  Where there are not any scenes that are really graphic, there are scenes described that some people may find offense to.  Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.


* In honor of the Feast of St. Brigid (Feb. 1)



Around the house San Antonio ~

* We drove Grammy down to San Antonio where she sampled a little bit of Texas history and food!

(This trip deserves its own post so here is just a tease...)

(Dinner on the river walk, San Antonio.)

* Living Liturgy for February::
February 1 - Feast of St. Brigid
February 8 - Feast of St. Josephine Bakhita
February 14 - Feast of St. Valentine
February 18 - Miss Clementine's Baptism birthday

I am thinking about ~

* lent (Ash Wednesday is February 18)

I am praying for ~

* Lily.  She battled cancer for most of the 5 1/2 years she was alive.  Such a courageous little angel. Lily passed away on February 1.  I pray for her family.  (Her dad was my high school classmate - we went to a small Catholic high school.)   I cannot imagine the pain that they are in.  May they be comforted through all the prayers that are being lifted up for them.


What I am listening to ~

My washing machine chugging away.  I try not to do laundry on Sunday so my Mondays have me in the laundry room bright and early.


Coming down the pike this week ~

* Sunday - We will celebrate the feast of St. Brigid.
* Friday - The parents from our home school group are going bowling.
* Friday - Well check up for Miss Clementine.
* Friday - First Friday Mass

 Photo(s) to share ~

We miss Grammy already, and how we wish she lived closer!

She flew back to Chicago on Saturday and made it home just as the snow started to fall.  We had a great visit once again, and she had the most gorgeous weather anyone could ask for in Texas in January.  We love her so much!

Wishing you a very happy and safe week!

~  Patty  ~

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post very much. I have been in that same spot in San Antonio. I'm from New England but was able to go along with my husband for a business trip to TX. We ate at that same restaurant that you pictured! Thanks for the book recommendation, I'm going to look it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Grammy visits!!!
    So glad you all had a nice visit and made wonderful memories. : )
    We too are hard at work in the schoolroom as the washing machine chugs. And chugs. And chugs.
    Enjoy your winter weather, my dear friend! : )
    Currently -5 wind chill here!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had a good visit with your mom. I can't wait to read that book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Photos with Grammy, I love them!! Every time. :) It sounds like another wonderful visit with your mom and I enjoyed seeing San Antonio pics. I've never been, so they were interesting.
    I've never heard of or eaten butter bars, but by the looks of it, I've clearly been missing out. Must try!
    Bowling for the parents, what a great idea! Now that sounds like a blast. Enjoy your evening out!
    Lastly, I have heard a lot about Goodreads. I don't get it, but then I haven't checked it out. Will get on that.

    Have a good week settling back into things at home.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails