Monday, January 5, 2015

Productive New Year - Daybook Post

Outside my window ~

A pink and blue pastel sky.  It looks cold out, but the sun is rising, and it will be a beautiful day.


I am thankful for ~

* the peace and productivity  that came with the week that falls between Christmas and New Years.



From the school room ~

* David and Miss Sally worked on some chemistry labs over break.



* We are switching from a Tues. - Sat. school week to the regular Mon. - Fri. since David's busy season will now begin, and he will only have Sundays off.

* Miss Sally picked up another 2 classes for spring semester ::  Economics and Driver's Ed (an online course called I Drive Safely.)


From the kitchen ~

 Jan 1 we celebrated the Feast of the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God with Miss Mabel's blueberry muffins.



Jan 4 we celebrated the Feast of The Epiphany.  I found this platter at Hobby Lobby a few years ago.  I served a  if you can't tell  crown cake ;)




What I am reading ~

I purchased a kindle edition on Amazon.  You can purchase a hard copy from Tan Books as well.


And for the  Feast of The Epiphany...



Around my house ~

* Cleaning!


I love Weiman Granite Cleaner & Polish.  It also comes in the form of stainless steel (appliance) wipes.  (Both at Walmart or Target.)

I had the kids vacuum and wipe out all of our cabinet & pantry roll out shelves in the kitchen.

* Painting our master bedroom


This is how we spent our New Year's Day since we had freezing rain.

The new color is called "Mineral" from the paint brand Kwal.

We need a new comforter, curtain, and lamps, but they'll have to wait for now due to the dirty little word, budget.

* Hold onto your socks...I caught up on all 5 scrapbooks this break!


I don't know, but I felt relaxed enough to tackle it.  I was behind two years with each child.  BTW, I only do birthday photos, Sacraments, special occasions, etc.  But dang it anyhow!  I'm all caught up.

Just in time, too.  Miss Clementine's birthday is in a few weeks.

I am thinking about ~

* Miss Clementine's birthday that is at end of the January.  I cannot believe she is going to turn 3 already!

* My mom's (a.k.a. Grammy) visit the end of this month.  The kids and I are taking her to San Antonio for a couple of days.

* the fact that my new favorite week of the year is the quiet week that falls between Christmas day and New Year's Day.


I am praying for ~

* a little 5 1/2 year old girl named Lily who is dying of cancer.  She put up a tough fight, but this wicked disease has taken over.  Please keep Lily and her family for what little time she has left.  I cannot image.... I shudder to think.

* for a friend of my family whose cancer has returned.  Please keep Stacia in your prayers.

What I am listening to ~

* a small engine plane flying over our house and the hum of a dishwasher running smoothly in the background.


Coming down the pike ~

* Sunday - Feast of The Epiphany
* Monday - Classes begin
* Monday - Dental appointment for me....yippy skippy
* Tuesday - David's day long, charter fishing trip (a Christmas present)
* Friday - Little Flowers / Little Women
* Friday-Sunday  - David's first home show of the season

A final photo to share ~


Three of my kids bought Mary's donkey and the Holy Family nativity pieces for me for Christmas.  (Fontanini brand)  For the feast of The Epiphany, I purchased the 3 Wise Men to add to the collection.  (I look forward to adding on more over the years to come!)

Wishing you all a healthy and blessed start to the new year!

~  Patty  ~

8 comments:

  1. You had a busy break! I am more than five years behind on scrapbooks and just thinking about it makes me anxious!

    I love your nativity. I have a collections of sorts -- five I think. I have only Mary, Joseph and the Infant Jesus in the Fontanini and I meant to buy myself a new piece this year. Oh well, there's next year!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always admired the Fontanini nativity sets. I've been in need of a "big girl" set for years. I have many, but they are all kid-friendly ones. So delighted to have this new one. :)

      Delete
  2. Yup... my socks just flew off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Patty...the nativity! It is amazing. You enjoy that, my friend!
    Back to real life here today...
    It is freezing!
    Always enjoy sharing your days with you. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think scrapbooking must be like therapy!
    We will be in San Antonio the last weekend of January, staying near the Alamo/RiverWalk, hoping to see sites during breaks.
    I love Fontanini! Always lovingly done. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great starts to the new year. Cleaning, vacuuming, organizing....a woman after my own heart. :)Yummy King Cake which I'm betting was WAY better than our imaginary one we ate. lol.

    Good for you on the scrapbooks. You go! The nativity is beautiful. It will be a treasure in your home.

    I've already told you, but I love that paint color and I bet it's perfect in your bedroom. I hear ya on budget. While contemplating painting the bathroom, I'm debating what else can fit in the budget right now. It may just be a matching shower curtain. The other things will have to wait since I'm trying to save up toward the basement bathroom that has yet to exist. That project is gonna bust the budget a bit. Yikes.

    Hope your dentist trip went as well as it could. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely nativity. We have the Holy Family which were given by a dear friend, but the animals still come from our farm set! They are very realistic looking and prett much the right scale, but we always have to have the "naughty goat" in our stable scene. He steals the chocolates from the Christmas tree ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear your week was so peaceful and productive! (Yay for the scrapbooks--I don't even ~attempt~ them!) The crown cake looks yummy. :o)

    Tip for Fontanini: go to fontaninistore.com and get discounts/free items with purchase. I place a large order every year, since I get each of my 4 godchildren a figure for Christmas. (By the time they adults, they will have a whole scene!). Since I also order a figure or two for our own scene, we end up with a $$$ order that qualifies us for free gifts! I usually have the "Christmas Fairy" give the figures to my kids during advent. I'll try to post a pic of our Fontanini set soon….

    :o) Becky in OR

    PS You do realize that your "adult" nativity set is VERY kid-friendly as well! (My kids play for hours with our Fontanini….)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails