This updated version of the mashed potato was exactly what our Christmas menu needed!
Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes
4 1/2 pounds of russet potatoes, peeled and halved lengthwise (*I substituted with a package of frozen Ore Ida mashed potatoes and prepared according to package directions.)
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese at room temperature (*Mascarpone can be found in the deli section)
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup milk
salt and black pepper to taste
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 cup butter, cut into chunks
1. Place potato halves into a large pot of salted water, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until very tender, about 15 minutes. A knife should pierce the middle of a potato half easily. Transfer potatoes to a colander and drain thoroughly, about 5 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C)
3. Whisk mascarpone cheese in a mixing bowl until smooth. Stir egg yolk and milk into mascarpone cheese, whisking until smooth; season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
4. Transfer potatoes to a separate large mixing bowl, add butter chunks to potatoes, and season with salt and black pepper. Mash butter into potatoes with a potato masher until fluffy; a few lumps are okay. Whisk mascarpone mixture into mashed potatoes.
5. Spread the mashed potatoes into a 9x13-inch baking dish.
6. Bake in a preheated oven until potatoes are heated through and top is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Reading in 55 minutes
I found it on Allrecipes.com.
~ Patty ~