Wednesday, November 5, 2014

My Husband, the Seamstress

About two weeks ago, David came home and announced he signed up for sewing classes.

I was like, um.....okay??

I mean, he's a guy, (I know, that's stereotyping), and we didn't have a sewing machine.

But I know my husband well enough that when he announces he is going to do something, like take sewing lessons, I just pause for a second or two (to make sure I hear him correctly), and then go about my business.

Fast forward a few days.  I tried to phone and text him one afternoon.  When I hadn't heard back,  I sent him a 911 text, to which he text back, "I'm in my sewing class."

So he was serious.  (Silly me.)

When he came home he told me it was his goal to make his own hammocks and tarps for camping.  He knew he could make them cheaper, lighter, and more specific to size than what he could find in a store.

Okay.  That's the McGyver in him.

Fast forward a few days.  I came home to find a brand new, unopened Singer sewing machine sitting on the dining room table.  Knowing how "cheap" my husband can be, I knew there was a story behind this new equipment.

Apparently, he was told to check out pawn shops.  To which he did and bam!  Found a brand new one for $70.

He saw it retailed at Walmart for $270.  See the exact one here.

So my first reaction was, "Is this thing hot??!!"  When I picture pawn shops I picture body piercings, tattoos, and questionable activity...you know what I mean?  LOL  He assured me it was all legal.


This past weekend he made a proto type hammock and tarp...exactly 1/8 scale.


It perfectly fits a Liv doll of Miss Mabel's.  (She is quite excited about Mr Liv doll's future camping experiences ;)


On Monday, David made the real deal.

Taa Daa!


He even sewed this cute, little bag to stuff it into, about the size of a coffee can.

As my mom said, "David doesn't let grass grow under his feet."

That's for sure.

The past 24 hours I have found myself looking at items that need mending and wondering, "Hmm...I wonder if David could fix this?"

Why do I ever doubt him?


~  Patty  ~

12 comments:

  1. Not that there was any doubt, but David is amazing! I am beyond impressed with his ingenuity and progress. That's pretty awesome work for having just taken a class, obtained a machine, and done the project. I'd say he's definitely your go-to guy for any mending that needs to be done. Need new curtains? pillows? He totally could do that too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I think I'm going to have him work on bedroom curtains for our bedroom this winter! I NEVER thought I'd be saying, let alone thinking it! Lol

      Delete
  2. I am stunned. But only because I don't know your husband. If my husband took a sewing class I'd have him committed. But your husband is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Well, there are those times I could still have him committed! Your comment cracked me up!

      Delete
  3. He sounds like just the type of person I would love to meet. The hammock (both of them, really) are awesome. You are one lucky lady

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a guy!! I'm wondering if I have some mending myself, we could drop off on our way through Texas.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you could! Lol. You can drop it off on your way down and pick it up on your way back!

      Delete
  5. Hi Patty! I couldn't help but think of St. Paul the tentmaker. Good for your hubs to set a goal and go after it! I took sewing lessons when I was in grade school, and I STINK at it! Lol! When is your turn in the hammock??
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd enjoy it until everyone was busy and I knew for certain I'd be left alone :)

      Delete
  6. This is too cool for words. Doesn't he know he had us at "bathroom redo?"
    That's one amazing guy you've got there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails