Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Learning to Relax

Relaxation comes so hard to me.  When I have a chance to sit and just BE, I cannot unwind for the life of me.

This past Monday, David said he was going up to a nearby park to read in his hammock, (he is currently reading Theophilos by Michael O'Brien), and asked if I wanted to come along.

My knee jerk reaction had me say, "No thanks, I just finished my book."  It never crossed my mind that I could just go and sit under a shade tree and relax!

Sometimes I feel as though homeschooling has my mind trained (or tricked) into believing I must stay home at all times to work on something or be teaching someone something.  I am constantly on the go, go, go, (but only inside of my house).  There are times that I wish my brain came with batteries :)


Then I realized that David and I need quiet time alone to just BE.  Without the kids.  I am glad the Holy Spirit moved my thoughts in that direction since sometimes we put ourselves, as a couple, last in line to receive attention.

We have no family around us who can stay with our children for a weekend so we can get away.  We gave that option up when we moved to the south.

I was in the midst of prepping for my Confirmation class (Wednesday evenings) when I told him that I would love to go and I could work on my prep in the park.  So where I was not exactly doing any meditating type of relaxing, I was, however, relaxing just by being near my guy, in peace and quiet, knowing I'm getting my work done early and uninterrupted.

We have had a warm fall so far, so we hope to get another couple of Monday afternoons in at the park.  I'm actually really looking forward to them now!

Wishing you a wonderful Wednesday!

~  Patty  ~


8 comments:

  1. That's lovely. wishing you and your guy many many happy afternoons relaxing in the park. Why must we mamas go and go and go and go? Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty! I'm so glad you gave yourself permission to get away. I know what you mean about a busy head. I think about a dozen howler monkeys live in mine. Whenever I am quiet, it takes a while to calm those boys down!
    You should make a date to do it again soon!
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had that thought process! I was just telling my husband tonight about the guilt I feel if I let myself just sit down and visit with someone. I feel like I should be doing. My friend says that instead of a being a "human being", she feels like she is a "human doing". It is a mindset for sure! We are meant to connect with others and it is wonderful that you took that opportunity to be with your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "human doing"...yup. That sums it up just about right!

      Delete
  4. How wonderful! It really does sound like good medicine for heart and soul. Here's to more Mondays relaxing with your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all need to stop and just breathe more often. I wish it came more natural...just to rest. I'm glad you got a little bit of it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we lived up North away from family I also found it hard to place a value on just getting away alone. I completely understand what you mean. It sounds like you had a wonderful time, and I'm so glad you shared it because it serves as encouragement for me to remember to do the same.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails