Wednesday, October 29, 2014

End of October (Already?) - Daybook Post

Outside my window~

I am very sad.

I had five BEU-ti-ful rose bushes.  Double Knock Outs.  They all had to be removed because of Rose Rosette Disease (RRD).

I took some photos of what the disease looks like::




I read everything I could about this horrible RRD in order to try and "save" my rose bushes.  But my actions were futile.

Between this and the ice storm that wiped out a bunch of my things last December, I told David that I am going to paint rose bushes on the big rocks or just put up inflatable palm trees from now on.  Geesh!

I am thankful for ~

* My husband who worked hard to dig up all those thorny, dying rose bushes using a home made lever.

* Bailey's Irish Cream ;)

* Girlfriends.  Every mama needs 'em!

* For the quiet that came with the guys being gone on another TSG camp out last weekend.


From the school room ~

* We are plugging away.  Now in the midst of week 13, the semester will be over before we know it!


From the kitchen ~ (For little hands in the kitchen)

We made these last year using a tube of Pillsbury crescent or bread roll...


Coat with some melted butter, paprika and parsley snips, and then some shredded cheese if you wish...


Bake according to the package and enjoy...


They are so much fun for the kids to make!!

What I am reading ~

I just finished The Kitchen House.  I am on the hunt for another book now.  (I haven't read two books in one month in FOR-EVER!)


What I am praying for ~

* The souls in purgatory.

* For all those who have asked me to pray for them.

* For my sister who is about to take a business trip to South Africa.

Around my house ~

These pumpkins won't be carved until Halloween morning since our warm temperatures will only speed up their rotting process.



Stan earned his Lion badge at the TSG camp out last weekend.  He's moving on up!


Extras coming down the pike this week ~

My mammogram on Friday (TMI?  They ARE important you know.)
All Saints Vigil Mass on Friday.
Trick or Treating on Friday.
All Saints party on Saturday.
Stan's adoption day (anniversary) next Monday.

What I am listening to ~

David doing some book keeping in the kitchen.  Miss Clementine talking to two of her sisters upstairs.

A picture to share ~

Halloween 2013



My sweet little owl is growing up too quickly!

Have a great hump day!

~  Patty  ~


11 comments:

  1. Morning!
    So sorry about your roses...
    Thank you for the neat recipe!!! I have never heard of doing that. But will be trying soon!
    Have a wonderful remainder of the week. It is going fast! : 0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roses are frustrating...that's why I don't like them--Ha!! I'm kidding...but it is frustrating trying to grow things especially when things like this happen. So sorry.

    Gosh, I'll pray for your sister...talk about scary...I'm actually surprised the airlines are still even flying to Africa.

    Those crescents look fun! I've been planning on baking sugar cookies and doing pumpkin and leaf shapes...but I just can't seem to find a couple free hours to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That rose disease is new to the DFW area. Otherwise, roses are quite hardy down here. They grow ALL OVER the place. Pretty much maintenance free. It's sad to see them being taken over from this disease. And a fatal one at that. :(

      Delete
  3. Hi Patty! I put in a new knockout rose bush in my yard this year. I have never heard of this dread disease! I am so sorry about losing those bushes. They are so full and pretty. I kind of like the painting idea though...
    Congrats to Stan, and I say YAY for girlfriends too. Where would we be without them?
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hellooooo my friend! I've just logged into Blogger after almost a whole month. Oh, how I miss it here. Please pray for me to know what God wants of me. I always love stopping by to visit your little spot, so full of warmth in the midst of real life. Just smiled at your extras coming down the pike...Except for the Mammo. I'm due too. yuck. Have a holy and happy week of festivities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've had your mind pre occupied, Tiffany :) So glad he will be back soon! Miss you!

      Delete
  5. Bummer about the roses. I have a couple knock-outs, having given up on trying to keep the real deal alive. Last I noticed my knock-outs are still alive, but honestly, I lose interest in the garden when the temps get to 85 (I know you're laughing -- when isn't it above 85 down there?). About ten years ago I gave into gardening and decided that whatever grows is what stays and mostly my garden has perennials that like it there -- let's just call it an English garden. ;-)

    Have you ever read anything by Anita Shreve? She is one of my favorites and has many books set in New England -- Fortune's Rocks is one of my favorites, and Sea Glass. Are you on Goodreads? It's a good place to find something to read among like-minded people.

    Enjoy your busy weekend. Our trick-or-treat is tomorrow because of Friday night high school football. And I though Texans were big into high school football...I think Ohio has you beat. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I like your train of thought on whatever grows!

      Anita Shreve. I forgot about her. I read The Pilot's Wife. Wow! What a plot line! I haven't thought of her, but need to see one of those that you suggested. I did like her. And I have her of Goodreads, just never checked in there. Thanks for the heads up!

      Football. At the risk of being tarred and feathered, I am NOT a football fan. Hee hee! Baseball, yes. These football fans are CRA-ZY!

      Delete
  6. I think those diseased roses should be cut off before it spreads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bushes had to be completely pulled out. :(

      Delete
  7. So happy to know we're not the only ones who saved the pumpkin carving for Halloween. We're doing ours this afternoon right after the kids get home from school...no one has been together long enough this week to do it, and like you said, Texas heat + west facing house + carved pumpkins = a giant mess.
    And...I love crescent roll dough so much! Thank you for yet another wonderful idea for that miraculous stuff. :)
    Have a happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails