Wednesday, July 30, 2014

School Days - Daybook Post

Outside my window ~and~ From my kitchen

A bountiful garden.


We've been eating a cucumber a day.  (Oh my goodness...still can't keep up.)  We have had to give them away as well.


I am thankful for ~


A new addition to our prayer life.  (Living liturgy.)   After lunch, I have encouraged each child (including myself) to have quiet, reflective prayer time, using this beautiful guide I found at Nancy's place.

I printed off a copy for all and put them inside page protectors.  We keep them by our desks or nightstands.


I am thinking about ~

My babies are growing too quickly!!


From the school room ~

Our year has taken off splendidly!

What my homeschool kids are studying for the 2014-2015 school year...

Sally
Geometry (Saxon AND I bought the teacher on disc.)

Keyboarding (Keyboarding Skills)

English  (Texts: A Tale of Two Cities, Animal Farm.  Book Analysis:  Great Expectations (Dickens), The Prince and the Pauper (Twain), The House of the Seven Gables (Hawthorne) and a research report.)

Spanish II (Spanish Now!)

Religion (Texts: Mass and the Sacraments, Catholic Morality, Understanding the Mass.)

Chemistry w/ lab (Chemistry: Precision and Design).

World History (Christ the King; Lord of History, and Historical Atlas of the World.)

PE credit - swim team

Ester
Art (Emma is signed up for an ART I course at a co-op in Dallas for grades 8-12).

English (English 8 for young Catholics - Seton)

Composition (Composition for young Catholics - Seton)

History (The History of the United States - Seton)

Math 8/7 (Saxon)

Reading (Texts: Faith and Freedom Readers, Comprehension, and Thinking Skills - all Seton)

4 Book Reports

Religion (Texts:  The New St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism No. 2, Witness to the Faith - Seton)

Physical Science w/ lab (Apologia)

Spelling (Spelling 8 for young Catholics - Seton)

Vocabulary (Vocabulary 8 for young Catholics - Seton)

PE - Tae Kwon Do


Mabel
Art (Art 6 for young Catholics - Seton)

English (English 6 for young Catholics - Seton)

History (Texts:  Our Catholic History: Vol 1 - Seton,  Maps & Charts Level F Eastern Hemisphere - MCP) 

Math 6/5 (Saxon)

Reading (Texts:  Faith and Freedom Readers, Comprehension and Thinking Skills - all Seton)

4 Book Reports

Religion (Texts:  Religion 6 for young Catholics, Bible History for Young Catholics: Old Testament - Seton, and The New St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism No. 2)

Science (Zoology 3 - Apologia with a lab.  **teaming up with Stan in Science this year**)

Spelling (Spelling 6 for young Catholics - Seton)

Vocabulary (Vocabulary 6 for young Catholics - Seton)

PE - Tae Kwon Do

Stan
Art (Art 3 for young Catholics - Seton)

English (English 3 for young Catholics - Seton)

Handwriting (Handwriting 3 for young Catholics - Seton)

History (Texts:  The Catholic Faith Comes to America - Seton, Maps, Charts, and Graphs Level C Communities - MCP.)

Math 3 (Apologia)

Phonics (Phonics 3 for young Catholics - Seton)

Reading (Faith and Freedom Readers, Reading for young Catholics Comprehension - Seton)

2 book reports

Religion (Religion 3 for young Catholics - Seton)

Science (Zoology 3 - Apologia w/ lab - *He and Mabel are taking this course together.)

Spelling (Spelling 3 for young Catholics - Seton)

Vocabulary (Vocabulary 3 for young Catholics - Seton)

PE - (Troops of St. George)



What I am reading ~

(Thanks to Sarah for the advice....)

Rooted in Love: Our Calling As Catholic Women (Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle)

Roses Among Thorns: Simple Advice for Renewing Your Spiritual Journey (St. Francis de Sales)




What I am praying for ~
For a successful and fruitful school year!

For Sarah Harkins and her family.  Lord, have mercy!



What I am listening to ~

Kids helping me by checking each other's work.  (It is a team effort!)

Around my house ~

"I want to school, too!"


A picture to share ~


Have a great week!

~  Patty  ~

14 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh Patty!!!!!!!!!!
    That last picture!!!!!!!
    Be still my mama heart!
    Looks like things are fine and dandy at your place.
    Enjoy!
    And cut up those cucumbers and pit them in your water. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously, I need to preview.
      That would be PUT...
      Jeesh...My kids would say, "Mom. That was a fail." : )

      Delete
    2. Ha ha! I knew what you meant! (Been there and done it.)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to garden! I have drooled over other peoples gardening success for years. I think I am finally ready to take that leap. Watching this video was inspiring too- http://www.backtoedenfilm.com/.

    I love your little one ready to "do school". What do you think of the books you are reading? I am looking for spiritual boost! Prayers for a successful new school year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spiritual books:: I like them so far. Just the gentle nudge I need. Light, not heavy. Encouraging, I read a little from each every day (or night). I especially needed them heading back into another school year. Last semester was rough on me. I want to stay positive and upbeat. I want to keep things in "order", starting with my spirituality. So, a yes on those books. :)

      Delete
  4. I love your new living liturgy devotion. You have inspired me to do something new! Your posts are always so rich in God's purpose for you. Thank you for sharing your blessed life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet friend. I'm just trying to get my act in gear as a parent and do a better job leading them as their mother.

      Delete
  5. Have I told you how much I enjoy these Daybook posts? Well, I do. That picture of Clementine with her backpack and notebook....adorable!!! I just signed up to teach 1st grade CCD and I am scared. I may be asking you for guidance in the near future.
    Have a great day, Patty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First grade will be so much fun! I'm excited for you. It's a LOT of work, but you'll be glad in the end you did it. For me, it was like exercise. You don't want to do it as you are beginning the routine, but after your work out, you are so happy you did :)

      Delete
  6. You guys will have a busy full year for sure! I agree, time flies :) Many blessings on your school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Jen! I know you live closer than before, but I still wish we lived even closer ;)

      Delete
  7. I think I just lost my whole comment!!

    My son is in Troops of St George too!!
    And when you say 4 book reports, are you meaning for the month or the year?
    We need to get better at those....the kids read a ton too. Just not classic books...more like fantasy/Science fiction/adventure ones!

    It's fun to see what you are doing for school, as we are starting Monday!! Yikes!!
    My plan today is to get all the lesson plans into binders and separate all the answers into MY binder and then maybe the pool...we have extra kiddos here for one last hurrah before school starts and one last parade (our unicyclist) tonite. It's a small one, it's a funny one too, it's in the parking lot of a strip mall, the parade goes around the parking lot and everyone crowds inside around a square...it's the lamest one!! But fun to talk about!

    Thanks for the cuteness at the end, we all NEED that!
    And your cukes are amazing!! How do you eat them? (do you pit them in your water?) Ha! Just kidding. Do you cut them and put them in dip, dressing, mayo, vinegar? (all of the above please and don't forget salads!)

    Have a great weekend Patty. Sarah's funeral is today. I've been tearing up all week. The loss and pain is just almost unbearable. And I'm an old friend, not someone who saw her every day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fully enrolled in Seton, they require one book report per quarter. They give the kids choice a or b for each quarter and then the kids can pick out a saint book for the last two book reports. The first two book reports are Catholic history and adventurous. The book choices have DEFINITELY forced my kids to read out of their comfort zones. But have they been reading some amazing books!!

      Blessing to you and your students on their first day of school!!!! I'll be thinking of you :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails