Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Stan's Special Day

Eight years ago today...



Little man was baptized, and it was also Pentecost Sunday - the birthday of the Church!




(With Stan's godparents :)

(My parents on top - my father had just finished chemotherapy; David's parents on bottom.)

Today we celebrated by lighting his baptismal candle and giving him a small faith-based gift, My Secret Friend: A Guardian Angel Story DVD.  I think we now have almost all of these saint movies, found here.


We choose to celebrate by relighting the baptismal candle, singing happy birthday, and presenting a faith-based gifts to each of our children on their special day.  We go through the baptismal cards they received and look over pictures from their baptism day.  That's it.  Short and sweet.

David and I have a goal as their parents to help them always remember how important that day was; that it continues on each day after, not to be forgotten or taken for granted.  In a sense, it is a renewal of life as adopted children of God. We have been living the liturgy in this way for years, but we did not start our family with this in mind.  Only after hearing a priest suggest it, we jumped right into this custom, and our children LOVE it!  It is never too late to begin such a beautiful birthday celebration!  :)

~  Patty  ~

8 comments:

  1. That is such a wonderful tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great tradition. I may have to follow suit. He's adorable, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is indeed!
    Hugs, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patty, I loved seeing the pictures from years ago... your family all so young! And so sweet! Is there really anything really more wonderful in the world than an baby with little almond eyes? I adore... my head turns when we're out and about and I see a Chinese baby... sigh... oh how I want to hold Anna as a baby... just one more time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tara. I wish I could turn back the clock, too!

      Delete
  5. That that is lovely! He was such a gorgeous baby!
    I was brought up short by your describing us as adopted by God, so we are all adopted in that sense! Lucky Stan, he is twice adopted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! We tell him that a lot ;) And I have to agree, he was gorgeous, wasn't he!! And now he is growing into such a handsome little fella ;)

      Delete
  6. Our newest addition - baby Benjamin - was just baptized today, on the eve of Pentecost. What a perfect day for a baptism! Wonderful pictures and memories that you shared! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails