Saturday, April 5, 2014

No-Bake Energy Bites

Oh my gosh!  These are REALLY yummy!

No-Bake Energy Bites 


Ingredients ::

1 cup rolled oats

1 cup coconut flakes

1/2 cup ground flax seed (* I found this in the baking section at the store*)

1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

1/2 cup of dried fruit

1/2 cup of peanut butter

1/2 cup of honey

1 tsp vanilla




Directions ::

1.  In a medium bowl, add oatmeal, coconut flakes, flax seed, mini chocolate chips and dried fruit.

2.  In a small bowl, whisk peanut butter, honey and vanilla.

3.  Pour wet mix into a dry bowl until thoroughly incorporated.  Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.  Once chilled, roll into balls.  (*We rolled them into tablespoon size balls.)


I doubled this batch to get 2 1/2 - 3 dozen balls.  They make a GREAT addition to our healthy snack menu!

Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.

(I found this recipe here, while perusing Pinterest.)

Enjoy!

~  Patty  ~

10 comments:

  1. Hmmmm....these sound great except for the coconut. Nobody in my family likes it! Do you think that doubling the oats would compensate for leaving that out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, between the stickiness of the pb and the honey, leaving out the coconut would not be a problem.

      Delete
  2. That's interesting that the recipe contains flax seed. They are the best source of Alpha Linolenic acid, an omega 3 fat which is especially beneficial for the reproductive health of women.
    Here's an interesting chart showing the varying content of different oils:
    http://www.cspinet.org/nah/12_05/flax.pdf
    Could be the basis of a bit of study?!
    I am not certain I have even tasted some of the oils listed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of my kids don't do well with flax. I wonder if I could grind up some sunflower seeds instead? ANd if I was going to skip the coconut, should I add more of the seeds and oats, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read once that one can substitute flax seed or omit it altogether depending on what the recipe calls for. I.E. If flax seed is being used for the flavor, you can substitute with pine nuts or walnuts to get that same fiber and whole grain flavor. You can also leave out the flax seed and have no substitute in that case. If a recipe has flax seed in it for the oil, then you can substitute with more oil. Same with a recipe that calls for egg in addition to flax seed. You can substitute the flax seed with one extra egg. I've never done this myself, but I would not hesitate to.

      As for the coconut...if the concern is substituting a filler in its place, I would just omit the coconut. I don't think you would go wrong either by adding a little more of the oats. The honey and pb will definitely keep it all together. I read that coconut can be substituted with almonds as well!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing Patty! Thomas is running track and protein bars are very expensive. Do you think these would be a good substitute for the bars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oldest is a swimmer. She loves these!

      Delete
  5. We have all these ingredients, I'm pinning you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flax seeds are awesome for overall health! Charlotte could possibly try Chia Seeds instead, those are beneficial as well. I'm pinning this too. My boys like to eat protein bars before and in between sports activities and these would be much healthier. I think I have everything in my pantry as well -woot! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails