Sunday, March 9, 2014

Teen Talk :)

I love to hear my teenagers   (cannot believe I have 2 in the house now)  sitting around conversing with one another and with their friends.  What they have to say and how they express themselves is so important, and I'm always caught off guard wondering where was I when they entered this stage?    It throws me back to my own teen days when my friends would come over.  I was never embarrassed by  my mom or dad.  My parents had rules and regs yet they magically balanced those with making my friends ALWAYS feel comfortable.


(Ester had her friend over for a birthday dinner & sleep over last night.)


David and I have made plen - ty of mistakes in our parenting years, but I have to admit, it is reassuring to see how nicely (and maturely) I see these teens act with one another and their friends.  It's like wow!  we haven't completely failed. Yet.



As a parent, I like the non - party years as much as planning for a big party.  (Our kids get a big party when they turn 1, 4, 8, 12, & 16.)  The off- years are when they invite a friend for dinner and hang out with us.    David and I have the opportunity to get to know their friends better this way, and they,  us.  (Surprisingly, their friends still want to be friends!  Ha ha!)

We really have been enjoying this new stage, which really does continue getting better with each new chapter we enter into.  Where it has not been a piece of cake, (and I am sure there are rough seas ahead),  it truly has not been as awful as society wants us to believe about teenagers these days.

 I like that.  I like being hopeful.  These kids, and millions others like them, they are our future.  They are our hope.

"Build the church, bless the nation."  ~ Al Kresta

~  Patty  ~

5 comments:

  1. Yes!!!!! Agree!!!!
    The teen years, while challenging at times, are so very fun!!!
    Last night, Peyton and I watched Gilligan's Island and baked cookies with Flynn.
    Sdfh, that was from Flynn! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore my teens (and older). They are some of my best friends besides being my children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your 'big' party on certain years idea.. love that! Will you still be blogging when Anna is a teen cuz I'm going to need the help :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two teenagers - when DID that happen!! We are just entering those years and I'm not sure how I feel about it ;) Really, though I am looking forward to older kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, I thought I commented here already. Sorry. Sometimes I get confused between reading a post and FB!! (it doesn't take much to confuse me!)

    I love your idea of "big parties" and the smaller ones.
    Good job mama!! Our nice teens makes the hard job of homeschooling all worth it, doesn't it? They are good kids!

    I love when the kids have friends over and they chat around the table, it's so fun to just listen while I cook or whatever!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails