Thursday, March 20, 2014

Quinoa and Black Beans

This is a healthier alternative to the Beans and Rice recipe that my family loves.  I found the recipe here.  

What is Quinoa?

"Very flavorful alternative to black beans and rice. Quinoa is a nutty grain from South America." Giada, All Recipes.


We served ours on whole wheat tortillas, but it can be served as a side dish as well.  My family really liked it!

Ingredients ::

1 tsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped (* I substitute with a squeezable garlic).
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup frozen corn kernels
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions ::

1.  Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Stir in the onion and garlic, and sauté until lightly browned.

2.  Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth.  Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.  Bring the mixture to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.

3.  Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through.  Mix in the black beans and cilantro.

Servings:  11

Enjoy!

~  Patty  ~

11 comments:

  1. Just pinned it!! All I need is some cilantro!!

    I'm making this Friday!!
    Thanks Patty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love quinoa and eat it regularly. Sometimes I eat it for breakfast :) This recipe looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patty! I love your new photo in the header. Come on Spring!

    I have heard a lot about Quinoa, but I've never tasted it. Well, if you can cook it with garlic, I'm in :) It looks like it'd be a hearty dip too? We have the tilapia defrosting, but I know my husband would love this recipe.

    Thank you for sharing!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got my cilantro, I'm making this tonite! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I'm adding fresh cut tomatoes to mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started cooking with quinoa a few months ago- I love it!! Can't wait to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a hit! My son gave it a 9.5. Yes, we rate new recipes!

    I give it a 10. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I knew y'all would love it! There are so many recipes out there for Quinoa, too.

      Delete
  8. OK, oops, I guess I already told you that...I'm getting old...

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love Quinoa, and I have all these ingredients so we are giving it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails