Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Creamy Tomato Soup

I love tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches (especially during lent).  I tried a new recipe I thought I'd share with you.

I have to say, it is very sweet and tastes best when served HOT.

Creamy Tomato Soup


Ingredients:

1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (10.5 ounce) can vegetable broth
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp white sugar
1 tbsp chopped onion (*I used onion powder)
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 cups heavy whipping cream

Directions:

1.  In a large pot, mix tomatoes, broth, butter, sugar, onion and baking soda.  Simmer on low for 1 hour.

2.  **Temper the cream before adding it to the tomato base.  (Tempering prevents the cream from curdling when adding it to a hot broth.)  Reheat once more and then serve.

**Temper directions**

Very easy!

I poured my cream into a bowl.


Next, I slowly ladled my tomato base into the cream and mixed well before adding more.


Once the cream was brought up to a warmer temperature, I carefully poured the tomato cream mixture into the pot and reheated the entire pot.


No curdled cream!  Easy peasy!

Serve plain or with crackers.



Enjoy!

~  Patty  ~

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh, that looks wonderful! Do you blend the tomato chunks, or leave it chunky?

    You should put together a cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question, Jamie Jo! I did blend the tomato chunks because I have some who would not eat it otherwise.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails