Friday, February 21, 2014

Fat Tuesday Plans and Lenten Material

My birthday lands on Fat Tuesday this year!  Woot!  Woot!

All the  more reason to feast, right? (*wink*)

Actually, I told David and the kids today that I would like a King Cake for my birthday.  I've never had a "professionally baked" one and this VooDoo one sounds decedent!

Talking about Fat Tuesday reminded me our Lenten bin is up on the closet shelf, and I that needed to go through it.




The Story of the Cross: The Stations of the Cross for Children  can be found here.  (I bought mine at a MUCH cheaper price last year!)



Children's Stations of the Cross can be found here.   Stations of the Cross coloring book can be found here.

The Way of the Cross for Children can be found here.   The Way of the Cross for Children DVD can be found here.    The Sorrowful Mysteries CD can be found here.

Children's literature appropriate for lent and Good Friday...



The Giving Tree can be found here.    The Tale of Three Trees can be found here.




The Little Rose of Sharon can be found here.

Literature on the sacrament of Reconciliation and on Adoration as well as faith based material...



The Most Beautiful Thing in the World can be found here.  It is a beautiful story about he sacrament of reconciliation.   The Little Caterpillar That Finds Jesus can be found here.  It is about time spent with Jesus in Adoration.   My Path to Heaven: A Young Person's Guide to the Faith can be found here.  My Catholic Lent and Easter Activity Book can be found here.  Celebrating Lent can be found here.

Do we go through ALL THAT MATERIAL?  No way, Jose.  I just put the bin out and let them use what they need.  We do, however, always meditate on the Stations of the Cross and will use our candles we made last year.




There's also some adult reading for myself and David ...


Ash Wednesday is on March 5 this year.  Rather late, but that means Easter Sunday should be warm and sunny for us in Texas.

(I think little girls in sleeveless Easter dresses are so cute!)

Have a great weekend and a blessed Sunday!

~  Patty  ~


17 comments:

  1. We had books for every season. My little girl learned more about Jesus in the home and in a book than anywhere. She loved books and had memorized even the hard ones by the time she was 4. She could recite some at 2. God's story of redemption is the greatest story of all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great book list. I still love those candles. I am glad that it will be nice in warm in Texas. We won't have that for some time yet. Spring in Maryland is not a very pretty thing...lots of cold and mud! Thank you for sharing your spiritual inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, don't you think little girls in Easter dresses, with sweaters and winter coats and boots are cute too?

    That's probably what we'll be wearing.

    My son's birthday is March 10th, he will always have a birthday in Lent--you missed it this year, how cool is that? That doesn't happen very often, does it?

    I think we have almost all those same books...I never thought of The Giving Tree as a Lent book...I'll have to take it out...hmmmm....

    Awesome resource list!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey...start a new fashion statement with those boots! Your girl are CUTE all the time :)

    Having a birthday (almost always) during Lent is a sacrifice in itself. I remember my birthdays always seemed (to a little girl) cold and somber (not that they were) but lent made them feel that way. My head was so geared into lent, that celebrating a birthday never really seemed like it reached its peak. You know what I mean?

    So this year, I'm excited!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it, just having a son with a lenten birthday, it's the same. We call it a "feast day" --it is right?

      Delete
  5. Hello there, my friend!
    Birthday coming up huh, : )
    Thanks for all the Lenten info...You always inspire me. : )
    Have a cozy weekend...
    And Amen to Easter Dresses! I always see the illustrations of Easter with green grass, flowers, bunnies, and sun. And meanwhile...up here in Pa we have snow, rain, sleet, and slush. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me just remember my thoughts of Easter clothing when I lived in Illinois...I use to think to myself, "Why do clothing companies make such crazy warm weather Easter clothing? Do they not know that people would freeze in those clothes?!" Now I get it.

      I remember the first Easter in Texas. it was March 31 and we were in shock and awe over the climate difference. It still feels surreal after all these years.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I'm dreaming of a green Easter.....and singing it too....

      Delete
  6. Fat Tuesday sounds like a great day for a birthday! :) How do you like the book by Fulton Sheen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it. I just told someone else, this will be my third season using it as a form of meditation during the season of lent. He is so full of wisdom, as the book title suggests. You won't be disappointed.

      One example ::

      "Many a cross we bear is of our own manufacture; we made it by our sins.......If innocence itself took a Cross, then how shall we, who are guilty, complain against it?"

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for the response, Patty! I think I may select this as my book for Lent.

      Delete
  7. Can you tell me what a King Cake is please? I am in the UK!
    I have read the Fulton Sheen book for Advent and Christmas and really liked it. I didn't know there is a Lent and Easter one too. His words are always heavy with meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel!
      If you click on the red bold words "King Cake" in my post, it will take you to the meaning and tradition behind King Cake and Mardi Gras. That page explains better than I could because different countries have their own traditions. We celebrate the Gulf Coast tradition that originated from French and Spanish colonists.

      The short story :: King Cake is associated with the feast of the Epiphany. The "season" of the King Cake begins on the Twelfth day of Christmas and goes up to Fat Tuesday, the day before Lent; Ash Wednesday.

      There are many varieties available...now I just need to choose which flavor. :)

      Fulton Sheen's Lent and Easter book...I love this book. This will be my third lenten season reading it and using it as a great tool for meditation. You cannot go wrong with Fulton Sheen. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Patty. I have eaten King Cake under the title "Galette des Rois" both in France and England, but that was an Epiphany tradition. I can see how the idea was extended to Mardi Gras as the beginning of the next part of the liturgical cycle.
      I think in France whoever found the silver trinket in the cake was king for the day.
      Hoe you enjoy the cake and Fulton Sheen's words!

      Delete
  8. Those cakes look awesome, great idea for your birthday celebration! I'm looking forward to having sleeveless Easter dresses too, and not having to cover them up with winter coats ;) I'm planning a Lenten post for Monday and I'm going include this post! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yeah! If it helps others succeed in a fruit-filled season, growing closer to Christ, then it has served its purpose :)

      Delete
  9. Happy Early Birthday! Feast away! :) I'm liking alot of your books for Lent and I hope to continue to build up my library with some new titles :) I linked back to your post here on my 7 Quick Takes Lenten resource post here: http://asliceofsmithlife.blogspot.com/2014/02/ash-wednesday-lenten-traditions-and.html

    May you have a blessed birthday and Lent Patty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails