Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Bread Monk and Penuche Frosting

Mabel declared that 2014 will be the year she becomes a skilled baker in our kitchen.  I am glad that my girls enjoy being in the kitchen!


We were recently inspired to try a Penuche frosting recipe by my former teacher, Brother Dominic as I knew him in 1983-1987 but now known as Fr. Dominic Garramone,   The Bread Monk.


Photo credit:  The Bread Monk (website here.)

Fr. Dominic has quite a few recipe books out as well, Breaking Break,  Tis The Season To Be Baking,  Bake and Be Blessed and more!  He also has some baking shows on t.v.  Father is a ton of energy and his Italian side really shines through in his baking.

So…

I saw a scrumptious recipe he posted on Face book and the frosting he used caught my eye.  I wanted to make it as soon as I saw it.

Penuche Frosting, original recipe found here.



We decided we should make this brown sugar frosting for the butter pecan cake Mabel made.

Ingredients::

1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
hot water

Directions::

1.  In a saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter.  Add brown sugar.  Bring to a boil and then turn down heat to medium/low and continue boiling for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.



2.  Add the milk slowly and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  *When we did this, the mixture really popped and sputtered making Mabel a little nervous.*



3.  Cool to lukewarm.



4.  Transfer to a mixing bowl.  Gradually add the sifted confectioners' sugar.  Beat until thick enough to spread.  If too thick, add a little hot water at a time.  Beat well after adding the hot water.*



*When I mixed in the confectioners' sugar, the mixture grew really pasty.  Adding a little HOT water at a time thinned it instantly.  Just mix well after adding the hot water.

This frosting cannot sit around too long or it will harden because of the butter in it.  You should have your cake, muffins, or banana bread ready to be frosted immediately.

It doesn't hurt to have a still warm cake to spread the frosting on.  The heat enables it to spread further.






This was actually VERY easy.  Just make sure all of your ingredients are ready to go when you need them because the preparation is fast paced!

The kids LOVED the frosting.  They said it tasted like Caramel Corn.  David and I, on the other hand, liked it.

I think it would taste even better on a cinnamon muffin or banana bread.

P.S.  I sent Father Dominic that picture of Mabel and her cake just to let him know that he is inspiring young bakers as well!

Enjoy!

~  Patty  ~


8 comments:

  1. Nice!! My second daughter was the baker in the family for a while- sadly, by the time she moved out, I was very out of practice! :) Tell Mabel that I am impressed!

    Love the new blog header!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, Patty!
    And our girls will one day bake together!!!
    And I have to tell you...when I saw the little picture with this on my dashboard, I thought you were your oldest daughter!!!! : )
    Amazing you are, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That picked me up :) Especially since #45 is almost here!! God bless you!!

      Delete
  3. I'm impressed Mabel! The frosting looks wonderful and now I'm off to visit the Bread Monk's pages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm passing along a blog award to you.... that can be found here http://thebreadboxletters.blogspot.com/2014/01/best-moments-of-my-whole-life-gosh.html

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I bet Father Dominic loved that picture!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really did! Thought it was great ;)

      Delete
  6. Yum, yum. Way to go Mabel and best wishes for much success in the kitchen this year. What a great goal for the year!

    Patty, I am envious at your beauty. Really, you are just gorgeous, inside and out. Lookin' good, mama!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails