Thursday, January 30, 2014

Double Chocolate Walnut Biscotti



Wanting something Italian to serve on the Feast of St. John Bosco, (January 31), I originally was going to go with store bought biscotti.   I let my interest get the best of me and asked on FB for biscotti baking advice and recipes for "beginners".

I went with this recipe that I received from Father Dominic, The Bread Monk, because I had all the ingredients I needed to get started.

Trust me.  It was so easy, just a little time consuming because of the twice baked method.

Ingredients::

1/3 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
2/3 cup chopped walnuts (I crushed mine in a ziplock bag with my rolling pin.)

Directions::

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.  In a medium size bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla and mix.

2.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; stir into the sugar mixture until well blended.


3.  Mix in the chocolate chips and walnuts.  We used a sturdy spoon to do this.


4.  Divide dough into two equal parts.  Shape each part into a 9 x 2 x 1" loaf.  Place them onto baking sheet, evenly spaced.

(We got out a ruler to make sure the measurements were spot on.)

5.  Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until slightly firm to the touch.  Cool on the baking sheet for 30 minutes.  Discard used parchment and line pan with fresh.

6.  Using a wavy knife, slice the loaves diagonally into 1" slices.


(We used the ruler again to cut more accurately.)

7.  Place the slices on their sides on the baking sheet.  


8.  Bake for 10-12 minutes on each side, or until dry and crispy.  Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

Optional: Melt a couple of squares of almond bark, (or Wilton candy chips like we did), and drizzle on biscotti in a wavy pattern.


I dunked mine in coffee and Mabel dunked hers in milk.  Biscotti is a hard, crunchy cookie traditionally served with a sweet wine or coffee and there are many variations available.

Enjoy!

~  Patty ~

16 comments:

  1. This looks amazing, Patty...
    I have never attempted this, and honestly...I am a bit intimidated...
    But, I bet Peyton will be up for it!
    And I have to tell you...I got a smile and a little laugh from the thought of you in your kitchen taking a rolling pin to those walnuts!! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peyton can do this!! It is an easy cookie dough mix and instead of cutting out 24 individual cookies, just shape dough into 2 rectangles is equal measurement. Bake. Cool. Slice. Bake. Turn. Bake. Real easy!

      Delete
  2. Oh my…I'm gonna have to try this one! Those look delicious!!! Wishing you a wonderful weekend, friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these look so yummy! I'll have to try these! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made Biscotti either...or scones for the same reason, they seem so hard to do!

    Yours look amazing...I can smell the chocolate through the screen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house smelled so good for the entire day. These were so easy. Mabel was the main bakery chef in this project.

      Delete
  5. HI Patty,

    I linked to your delicious post here in my blog post today about Saint John Bosco and why I love this saint so much! Here's the link if you want to check it out! http://asliceofsmithlife.blogspot.com/2014/01/st-john-boscos-feast-day-and-my-dads.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link-y love, Tracy!

      Delete
  6. Oh YUM! And your little baker is absolutely adorable. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Patty! Happy St. John Bosco day! (when we were kids, we thought he had something to do with Bosco, a chocolate add-in to milk!) My husband is Italian, and his Mom made biscotti all the time. But never chocolate! Looks wonderful. And I love the sweet photo of you and your Mabel. What a bonding moment :)

    Love that you can Pinterest these too. You think of everything!
    Happy Weekend to you and the family,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum yum, looks amazing! I'll have to try to make them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that looks yummy and actually easy to make. I may actually need to stretch myself a bit and try it. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Feast Day!! That is our anniversary. (33yrs!) I love the picture of you two enjoying your treat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so yummy - I've made biscotti before and we always love it. You've inspired me to do so again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails