Monday, December 9, 2013

Daybook Post - ICED IN - Dec. 9, 2013


December 8 -The Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of Mary

 celebrates the saving work of God in preserving the Blessed Virgin Mary from the stain of original sin. Because of His foreknowledge that Mary would consent to bear Christ, God kept Mary free from original sin from the moment of her conception in the womb of her mother, Saint Anne. ~ 

But today is December 9.  Well,  ~ if December 8 falls on a Sunday (as in, for instance, 2013), the celebration of the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception is transferred to Monday, December 9, because Sundays in Advent take precedence over any other feast. ~  Scott P. Richert


Outside My Window

Ice, ice baby!

 4" of sleet!!  We have been frozen in since Thursday afternoon.  We have NO salt trucks down here.

We do not own any sleds, but Mabel made the best of it ;)  Ha ha!

(Ice, not snow.)





She used the blocks of ice David broke off when he cleared the driveway to build her igloo :)   A pitcher  of hot water was the "glue" that kept it altogether.  Ha ha!

The weather channel says it is suppose to be above freezing today and start defrosting.  We are keeping our fingers crossed!



I Am Thankful For

My electricity!!  So many of our friends lost theirs anywhere from 8 - 36 hours.


  

I Am Thinking About

December 9 is the Feast of St. Juan Diego.  We love his story.


  

From The School Room

School.  This is our last week for the semester, and the last week of each quarter is THE MOST stressful for this home school mama.  So many exams to help each child study for in addition to essays, reports, thesis, and paragraphs to guide them each on.  I feel as though my head will just spin off.



Coloring page depicting The Immaculate Conception (St. Anne with Mary in her womb) found over at Lacy's and colored in by Ester :)



From The Kitchen

A taco dinner is on the menu tonight in honor of the Feast of St. Juan Diego :)

We started Christmas baking over the weekend…


(Peanut Butter Blossoms.  Recipe found here.)




(Ester made a pan of Scrumptious Layered Mint Chocolate Bars.  Recipe found here.)



What We Are Reading

In honor of St. Juan Diego …



Some more literature reflecting Little Juan's Mexican heritage…


And another favorite saint movie to watch …




I Am Praying For

For my heart and the hearts of my husband and children to be a worthy dwelling place for Our Lord, especially during this Advent season, for my father-in-law, and for all those who have asked for special prayer intentions.




I Am Listening To

The humming of my furnace and otherwise, a quiet, still sleeping house :)


Around The House

We had a dilemma when we put up our Christmas tree.  

Last year,  Baby Clementine was a crazy stunt driver in her walker on wheels.

See…


So for her safety, we didn't put up the family tree in our living room.

We also forgot that in the spring of 2012, after we put in new floors, we had re-arranged our living room furniture.  

We flipped the furniture from this (we put the brown sofa and chair in the 2nd floor living room)


To this (brought down the nicer, green furniture)


Notice the piano missing in the second photo??  That was the dilemma.

In order to make room for the Christmas tree, we had to move it.

We had no where to put it except for the foyer.  (Right alongside Clementine's play kitchen!)




Not sure if this set up is a  faux pas or not, but that's where it has to stay.  

I'll have to figure a way to decorate that area.  

Two (More) Pictures To Share

These both get the title ::  Everything is bigger in Texas!




Advent blessings!

~  Patty  ~

13 comments:

  1. Patty, I always love visiting you here...and these are among my very favorite posts.
    I love sharing your day with you and getting a peek into your beautiful home!

    Your tree is beautiful...

    So glad you are all safe and sound.

    This is something your children will remember forever!

    Have a blessed day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - look at that ice! Thank God you still have electricity. Ice has taken ours out on numerous occasions - once for six straight days.

    Love that Texas star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember losing electricity when we lived in Springfield, Il. It was in January that year, -20 degrees. Yowzer!

      Delete
  3. Hi Patty, it's hard to believe all that ice that came down in Texas. Did it really affect the entire state? How cold has it been down there? Sounds strange but I didn't think it ever snowed in Texas. Or is this rare? Sounds like you've put the time to good use. Your daughter is quite the baker...taking after her mama. May God pour out his graces and blessings onto you and her family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noreen,
      I would say the ice storm affected maybe half the state?? The last time we had a big ice storm was in January of 2011. We will get snow once in awhile. It always melts by the next day or two. Our temps in northern Texas will drop to the low twenties (and even the teens) during the night, but you will find 60 degrees and bright sunshine during the afternoon. Except in these strange waves of cold weather…like we are in right now.

      Delete
  4. Been thinking of you!!! I have so many friends down in Texas…crazy weather! Thanks fore sharing your collection of saints books for Juan Diego and Our Lady of Guadalupe! I've been meaning to take a picture of the inside of the school church…the display to Our Lady is incredible. Huge Hispanic community where I teach and the kids go to school. Stay warm!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patty, I love the green furniture!! It looks so homey and Christmassy!

    SO, do you agree that those PB Blossoms must MUST have Kisses on top, not those cheap not real chocolate stars? This was an argument between homeschooling mamas a couple years ago. I think Kisses. Period.

    My mouth is watering just looking at those mint bars....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard of that argument! Ha ha! Those bars didn't last 24 hours :)

      Delete
    2. Jamie Jo - I totally agree with you!! Kisses or don't bother!

      Delete
    3. And the green furniture? Can you believe it's 14 years old?!

      Delete
  6. I am so ready to get to the store so I can make our cookies - we ran out of butter 2 days ago and I'm not ready to drive too far yet. I did go 2 blocks last night!
    I LOVE the star for the Christmas tree!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! The star was only a Texas sized joke! ;)

      Delete
  7. I was just thinking, does their stuff actually last until Christmas??? Ours never, ever does - I admire your self-control. I'm just as bad as the kids when it comes to Christmas cookies!! The bars are heavenly and we already made (and ate!) the blossoms.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails