Saturday, December 7, 2013

Christmas Traditions - Christmas Dishes Edition

Of all the traditions that we have in our house, the Christmas dishes have to be at the top of our list.

Many, MANY years ago,  I read an article in a Christmas magazine on how this family would select a set of Christmas dishes for each member, adding on over the years for new in-laws and grandchildren.   The hodge podge created one of the most unique yet beautiful dinner tables I had ever laid eyes on.   I immediately tucked that idea into my mental file cabinet.

We started the tradition that year when we had three little ones.  We started with a couple  sets of cute, plastic holiday dishes from Target for the older two kiddos,  (Mabel was just a baby.)  I then bought a set of fancier Christmas dishes, one for David and one for myself.


(This is one of two sets of plastic dishes I had purchased about 11 or 12 years ago from Target for the smaller kids.)



When a child is  "mature enough" to handle the good dishes, I take him shopping to pick out his very own set of Christmas dishes.






This year is Stan's turn.  He saw what he wanted online at Kohl's, and we now are waiting patiently for it to arrive in the mail.

This is what he picked out….

(A bit blurry)….St. Nicholas Square Winter White dinner plate.




St. Nicholas Square Winter White salad plate.


St. Nicholas Square Winter White cereal bowl.


He did a great job picking, didn't he?

*Everything was half price PLUS I was able to use $20 in Kohl's cash and a 20% off coupon.  Cha-ching!

My children LOVE  to get their dishes out each Christmas.  We set the table the morning of Christmas Eve and use these beautiful pieces till New Year's Eve (usually.)  

I honestly do not remember which set belongs to who, but they know!  

Each year I smile to myself as I wonder how many sets we will end up with some day…

Advent blessings!  

~  Patty  ~



3 comments:

  1. Now this is a wonderful tradition.
    Simply wonderful, my friend. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun tradition!! I love looking at the Christmas dishes in stores...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails