Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Special Day for Mabel

*I had started writing this last weekend just before receiving the call that my father-in-law fell.  I put an update here last evening. Thank you for the kindness you have shown by keeping him and the family in your prayers!  I am posting this because it feels good to post something cheerful. 


One of the ways we bring the liturgy into our house is by celebrating everyone's baptismal birthday, (the day you were baptized.)

About seven years ago (or more), a priest encouraged the parishioners to remember their baptism and to remember it in a special way.

We recently celebrated Mabel's on November 16.

We relight the baptismal candle they received in order to remember the importance of that day.


We always give each child a faith-based gift, a tangible way to connect with God.





Sometimes we look back over photos from that special day or reread the cards that they received as newly baptized infants.  (We keep the candle, cards, certificates, etc, tucked neatly into their sacrament keepsake boxes.)

Sacrament keepsake box found here.  (By the way, this makes a GREAT gift if you are still looking for someone on your Christmas list.)

Personalized, birthstone chaplet found here as well as on ETSY.


There are so many ways to bring the liturgy into our homes.  I always wish I could do more, make more, be more, but the truth is, I cannot.  And for those Catholic mommies that do so and then share with the rest of us, I encourage them to keep on keeping on!  For myself, I have learned to recognize my limitations based on the chapter of life we are in.


Recently, I read about Living Liturgy, at Pam's.  It was just what I needed to regroup, organize (that's the big key for me), and prepare.  She explains her idea so eloquently, and even provides links to the Monthly Planner and Area of Focus Planner she created for all of us to use.

So many moms have this down already.  I am not one of them nor do I intend to "keep up" with them. No. No. No.

This is set up to encourage your own personal family plans and goals.

Have a faith-based book you have been meaning to read and keep forgetting to pick it up or borrow it, let along sit down and actually open it?  This is the gentle nudge that will remind you to do so.  Do you have a prayer life that needs to be refreshed or even brought back to life (if you are like me, you are saying yes)?  This is the gentle planner to help you do so.  Is there a special feast day you want to celebrate?  This is there to help you remember.

You can find her Living Liturgical monthly planner here.

You can find her Living Liturgical area of focus planner here.

(You download both forms :)

I went over this concept with my family and they really liked the idea.  After a night's rest, they came to me with areas that they want to work on personally.  Already a win-win plan!


Hope you are able to get something out of it as well!

~  Patty  ~








16 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful idea, Patty...
    And those boxes??!
    Thank you so much...I'm heading over there now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just FYI...Your last three links all take you to the Amongst Lovely Things blog. I think they were supposed to go to Pam's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up. I just remedied that :)

      Delete
  3. I love this post. I love the photos of Mable's special day. They are so beautiful. I think that you are encouraging and inspiring more than you could possibly know. I know I have gained so much to count you among my friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phyllis, this has to be one of the loveliest things someone has said to me. Your words were like a pick-me-up bouquet of flowers :) Thank you so much!

      Delete
  4. How beautiful... I never thought of that idea. I'm going to create that keepsake box and when next August and October rolls around I'll be ready to celebrate! Thanks for sharing ~tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has become such a lovely tradition in our home. We also store the other sacrament keepsakes in the boxes as well. Everything in one place!

      Delete
  5. This is such a beautiful idea and I am so thankful for following the experienced moms in the blog world to get these ideas for our kids! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blog world is really an amazing place :) I have given the boxes as Baptism gifts. I think it makes the perfect gift!

      Delete
  6. We all do what's best in our own families, don't we? I wish more Mamas would be a little more gentle with one another on that topic. (sigh) I love that keepsake box...I look forward to passing these kinds of ideas on to my grandkids "if" I never get started with it myself:) I'm off to visit a new place and check out your links to Pam. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one terrific mama, too!! Glad you enjoy Pam's place. What a jewel!

      Delete
  7. Patty, thank you for the kind words. I am glad you are finding things from Living Liturgy helpful. And thank you for the ideas for celebrating baptism days. That one is on my Area of Focus planning sheet. Your idea of a faith-based gift is lovely. And the sacrament box!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that I found your blog through Amongst the Lovely Things. Thank you for putting this together for the rest of us :)

      Delete
  8. I'm back to thank you for introducing me to a new blog! What a beautiful space in Pam's Living Liturgy! BTW, Your children willl eternally be blessed by you, their one and only awesome Mama:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where were you when my boys were little??? (LOL!)
    What a beautiful chaplet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails