Saturday, November 16, 2013

Prayer Request

The day my father passed away, I had only doubts about my faith, God, and life after death.  Until that moment, I had never wavered in my belief , but there was something so dark and scary about that moment that I hedged.  I hesitated.  I doubted.  Fear completely knocked me down hard!

I was stunned into shock, and had so many questions swirling around my head.  My father was dead.  Where was he?  Was he in hell, purgatory, or heaven?  Did those places really even exist?  I was petrified that everything I had ever believed in was only a lie.

Even though it was a matter of time and we all were trying to prepare ourselves for his death, it was still a shock.  As in all major life changes, there is no certain amount of preparedness that  make us truly ready to receive its' blunt force upon impact.  Everything changed with his death in an instant and as the reality of it set in, so did those doubts.  I can see that now.

(Photo credit: Google Search)


I had started the two hour drive back to my husband and children that late afternoon.  It was a very cold and bitter October night and the sky was just spectacular.  I distinctly remember how vivid the clouds had grown into a brilliant pink color, as they do with cold, winter nights when the sun is on the brink of setting.  I can still see the last bits of the sun peeking over the clouds as it hovered over the horizon.  Only after I was deposited safely onto my driveway, did that sun set.  In a blink of an eye, the day was dark and night had come, and it was only at that moment that I realized for the past two hours of driving, God had been with me the entire time in the beauty of the sky.  He made sure that time stood still for me in order for me to know that He was so very real.





I shared this experience with some of my siblings and my Mom.  We all had experienced some form of God-moment that day.

We discussed how sad it is to know that some people have no faith, no belief in God.  What do they do in a similar situation, when the pain from grief is like a current trying to suck you under?  I feel so sad for people who do not believe in the existence of God.

What do people do when they have no prayer warriors to call upon?

These thoughts have been stirred up inside me the past seven weeks or so.  My 84 year old father-in-law has Alzheimer's and needed to placed in assisted living the end of September.  It had become too dangerous for him to live at home.  The situation has been quite taxing on my 83 year old mother-in-law.  They have been married for almost 60 years, and she is not in the best of health either.

My father-in-law fell and broke his hip this morning.  There will be no surgery. Instead, because of his condition, he has to be placed in restraints.  When he is stable enough to be moved, he will go to a nursing home.   It sounds so horrible, I know.  It is very frightening for him.

Dear prayer warriors, it would mean so much if you kept him, my mother-in-law and the family in your prayers.  I know it is the circle of life that we are part of, but watching your parents age and get sick and die is a very painful thing to go through.  When you are young, it seems so very far away, but life moves so quickly and before you know it, you are at that chapter in the Book of Life.  It is only through the grace of God that we make it through.



~  Patty  ~


19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa. I'll keep everyone updated. We sure here more today that it is Monday and doctors will be in.

      Delete
  2. I know exactly how you feel. I will pray for you all every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phyllis. I'll keep you updated on the blog. We should here more today now that it is Monday.

      Delete
  3. So beautifully written, my friend...

    And you know I share your pain.

    I will indeed add you all to my prayer intentions.

    Hugs my friend. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having dealt with similar things with both parents and both beloved parents-in-law (all now deceased), I know this is a challenging time. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to pray for you and for them.... I am beginning as I post this. God bless you ALL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy. I'll keep you updated on the blog. Now that it is MOnday, we should find out more today.

      Delete
  5. Hi Patty...oh my, what a sad thing. I'm sure it was so hard for your mother-in-law to let her husband go from their home, and now this. Change is not easy for people with Alz, which I know you know. Poor man, he must not know what end is up.

    You have my prayers for sure. We sounds like just about everyone has dealt with this horrid disease, so we all understand your challenges. But you are such a faithful person, Patty. (And what would we do without God?) I will pray that your faith covers you like a warm blanket in the days to come.
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ceil. I'll keep you updated here. With it being Monday, we should know more today. I was thinking of you, a care taker. We need to keep the care takers in our prayers. It is so hard on them.

      Delete
  6. We are definitely praying for all of you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My prayers and heart go with you…Beautiful reflection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tiffany. I'll keep you updated. With it being Monday, we should know more today.

      Delete
  8. Feeling your hurt and I'm praying, Patty. May God help and guide you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer. I'm going to update when we find out more. Should be today.

      Delete
  9. I will say a prayer for you! I loved you honesty at the beginning of you post when you questioned heaven, purgatory, hell... I have had moments like that. I'm glad God is gently and lovingly pulling us back to his arms (truth) during these moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm hoping to be able to update today with it being Monday. We should know more when the doctors come in.

      Delete
  10. This is a beautiful post. I especially loved the part about the October sky and how you felt God with you on that whole drive home. Beautiful tender mercies. We will definitely include you in our family prayers tonight and I will add your family to the prayer roll at the Temple tomorrow morning. What an amazing thing to be able to call upon the friends around you and ask for additional faith and prayers. I hope you can feel the warmth of that encircling love and concern. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Haunani, those are such beautiful and kind words. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  11. Definitely praying. I had similar feelings when my parents died about a year apart from each other. They always loved that "footprints" poem. God carried me through those times.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails