Friday, November 15, 2013

Easy to Make - Baby Block Nativity Set



I got my crafting on today.

While shopping around for a baby-friendly, wooden block, nativity set on ETSY, I realized we could make one ourselves.

David picked up some pine (3/4" thick).


I marked off the size I wanted for the stickers, and he used his circular saw to cut them.


(I found the stickers on Amazon, here.)

I also used a pencil to mark which block went to which character since I had different size blocks cut.


Next, I sanded down all the rough edges so Little Miss won't get a splinter.


After wiping off the finished blocks, I placed the correct sticker on each one.  Then David used a damp cloth to gently wipe off any pencil marks.



Once all the stickers were placed, I used two coats of Mod Podge on the top.  This will hopefully prevent little fingers from pulling the stickers off.


I only coated the top sides since they all blended quite naturally.

The entire process took about 1.5 hours.  I paused in between for drying.

Taa-Daa!









With pine wood, stickers, and sand paper, we probably put $12 into the project and had enough material to make 3 sets.  ($4 per set).

I can hardly wait to give this set to Little Miss to play with!!



~  Patty  ~

13 comments:

  1. what a great idea! i think i will borrow it from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might try this. What a lovely gift it will make. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your woodworking husband, you most certainly could do this and your grand babes would love 'em :)

      Delete
  3. You are a genius!!! I am totally making one of these this weekend…IF I can find some Nativity stickers. I bet my Catholic bookstore might have them! Lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I'm sure you can find nativity stickers there?? The idea came to me late at night, that's why I ordered mine on amazon.

      Delete
  4. These blocks turned out so cute! great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, Patty!
    And yes, please to the prayer buddy idea!
    Email me sometime if you would like...
    I would love to chat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute idea! I'll bet you could sell those but even better to give as gifts:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's what I did ;) The other mama was so happy to receive it. Her little one is about 6 weeks older than Miss C.

      Delete
    2. I saw her comment of thanksgiving on FB…So sweet of you!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails