Sunday, October 6, 2013

A Davy Crockett Birthday Party

It was a very happy birthday to one of the BIGGEST Davy Crockett fans - ever!


(Davy Crockett costume will also make a great Halloween costume!)



I found the gun powder horn here, and  Betsy, Davy Crockett's Kentuckian, long rifle replica, here.

Davy Crockett book and DVD's were found on Amazon as well.


Our kids get a  birthday party when they turn 8... (actually, when they turn 1, 4, 8, 12, & 16. ) 

Planning for this Davy Crockett theme, we came up empty-handed.  Not much out there.

Zilch.

Nada.

El Zippo!

The only thing I made on my own were the invites.

I used an applique of a boy in a coon skin cap and headed over to Vistaprint.com for custom invitations.



We picked out lines from the theme song.

Heading over to Pinterest, we tapped into the "camping theme" to add to our "Davy Crockett theme".





(David made the food labels out of old pallets.)






Warning!  Bear Sighting!




(That is the "creek" that his big sisters painted for him :)

The brave, young fellers found their guns and next clue at the creek.


Ammo (rubber bands for their rubber band pistols) was found on Granny's rocker, along with Clue #3.


Clue #3 lead them to the forest!

Davy Crockett's Forest ... Beware of the black ... ummm brown bear !!


Actually, it kind of looked like a beaver.  Ha ha!



None-the-less, they had a great time on their bear hunt!

They also had an archery competition.


See that fancy, shmancy bow up in the picture?  David made four of them out of PVC.  

Three bows went home as prizes!

(**Tutorial post on PVC bows found here.**)

At the very end of the party, we let them take turns at the piƱata bear... (from the bear hunt).




(A picture is worth a million words they say....)

He had a GREAT time at his party!

All of the boys had a great time!

***************************************
Giving credit where credit is due~

Party links ::

I created a Pinterest Davy Crockett Birthday board a few months ago using the creative ideas of others.    Hopefully, you can find all party links  on the Davy Crockett Birthday still active.

Davy Crockett cupcake toppers - we made them ourselves using custom print stickers when I ordered the invitations.

The idea of a scavenger hunt came from pinterest, but the particular hunt listed above was our own creation :)

***************************************

Oh my goodness!  It was exhausting but so much fun!

~  Patty  ~  

28 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Patty! Everything looks sooo cute! Y'all did an amazing job with this!!! Happy Birthday to Stan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! As I mentioned above, thank goodness for all the creative people in the world who share their ideas on Pinterest!

      Delete
  2. This has to be one of the most fun parties of all time! Gosh, y'all must have spent some looong hours getting ready for this one.... so creative. I especially love the "bug juice!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! Looking for ideas on pinterest took a bit of time, but David, my husband, I think he put the most time into it making the bows and working the games. Then the big girls were a HUGE help as well, painting the scenery for the hunt :) Thank goodness for big sisters!

      Delete
  3. So creative! It looks like they all had a great time! My kids are looking at the pictures exclaiming about how fun it all looked (up-ing the stakes for future parties!). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha! I'm not sure what I have ever done without Pinterest!! And thank the Lord that I don't have to worry about another birthday party for a couple of years when Mabel turns 12 and Sally hits 16 :)

      Delete
  4. Hi there Patty! You surely pulled out all the stops! Awesome job! So much work but so worth that smile on his eight year old face! love it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara! He truly enjoyed this party :) I have to say, boys are easier in the party dept than girls...in some ways.

      Delete
  5. What a perfect party!! I love it all. One of my sons spent years wearing his 'coon skin cap everywhere- this would have been the perfect party for him. That was prepinterest- what did we ever do before then! Although you added plenty of your own creativeness to this party. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Right?! I was thinking of your boys (and hubs) when David made the PVC bows. I know they'd love them! :)

      Delete
  6. Patty! You rock!
    I am inviting myself to the next one...So add six more to the list. ; )
    No, but really...every single detail is amazing.
    What a perfect way to celebrate your sweet son.
    That cake looks sooo yummy. : )
    Job well done. Mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Billie Jo! I couldn't have done a bunch of it without the ideas of those on Pinterest :)

      Delete
    2. Oh...and as I was gushing about your party, I forgot to mention I love your new picture there!!!!! Beautiful!!!!

      Delete
    3. Awe, thanks, Billie Jo :)

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful, creative party. My James is a Davy Crockett fan, too and has that same outfit with powder horn. I love the hunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remembered one of your boys is a huge fan, too. I was thinking of your youngest two during the "hunt" ;)

      Delete
  8. Love, Love, Love this party Patty! It is obvious how much love went into planning it and celebrating it with friends/family! I want to try to make that campfire cake some day! It all looks so fun and creative! I'm sure it was a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love indeed :)
      His happy face throughout the party was our pay off :)

      Delete
  9. What an awesome birthday party, Patty! You are Super Mom. And you can just see how happy your adorable little Stan is from all the pictures. Looks like it was a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day, Haunani. As a friend said, a lot of love went into that party and the happy smile on his face was such a great payback :)

      Delete
  10. Oh, Patty!! You did such a wonderful job on this party!!! Yay!! Happy birthday to your little Davy Crockett...now I'm singing the song....OH, Davy, Davy Crockett, King of the wild frontier!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie Jo, I've been singing that song for months and month (ever since he studied Davy Crockett last year in school.) More so even now! Haha ! We sat down and watched one of the new DVD's he received. I was happy to say that "hollywood" (way back then) pretty much stuck with the real timeline in Davy Crockett's life :)

      Delete
    2. Catching up on blogs, tonite...I forgot to say how cool I thought those pie pans were for the plates--very cool!

      Delete
  11. Wow.Wow.Wow! You did fantastic Patty. From beginning to end, you created the most amazing fun I've ever seen. I bet Stan loved it and will have so many fond memories of his 8th birthday. Way to go Super Mom, Super Dad and Super Sisters for all your hard work making it a very special birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a team effort, that's for sure!! The good news is that when he turns 12 and celebrates at that time with another party, it will probably be a fishing day with a group of boys and his dad on the lake. Ha! Won't take much planning that time around ;)

      Delete
  12. Hi Patty! Even though I am 'off the grid' for a few days, I just wanted to respond to your awesome news about the walk. You made an amazing amount of money! And I am so glad the weather held off until you were done. God is good!

    I was so happy to pray for you, let me know if you need it again...and I will too :)
    (I'll watch out for bears too...great pics on this post!)
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW, this is the most rockin' original party theme I've seen in a long time! Simply awesome and blessed little boy:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My son has been begging my for a Davy Crockett cake for his birthday. I made him the costume for Halloween (he beggeged for that too). I love the idea of a bear hunt. And the food is so creative. I can't wait to use some of these ideas in his party! I'm going to try and do a coonskin cake (fingers crossed). Thanks for posting your creativeness.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails