Friday, August 2, 2013

Semi-Kitchen Remodel - Before Pics



Our house is not quite six years old, and we have had to do some big updating since we  moved in.

New home construction is lightening fast in North Texas.  100 days is the average...from concrete pad to closing date.  Crazy fast.

Prior to moving to Texas, we had built a house in Illinois.  It took 5 five months from foundation to move in date, and THAT was with my husband as general contractor.

See what I mean?

Obviously there is concern about quality.  Let's just say, things are done a lot differently down here, the labor force is different, and the pricing is "more affordable" because of that.  (David's business  has him in homes all over the Metroplex, and he sees that it doesn't matter which home builder you go with.  The labor force is all the same.)

Our latest update was a new counter top.  The original workmanship was poor.  Very poor.

Now you see the knife...




Uh-oh!  It's falling behind the wall!


The counter top was never properly built, was never properly sealed.  (An example of the little things you don't see when purchasing a house until you start to "use" it.)


And this has NOTHING to do with the movement of the North Texas soil underneath our foundation. (We "water" our foundation multiple times per week to control the expansion and contraction issues down here.)


David tried to reseal the ever-increasing gap a few times over the years.  Unfortunately, once water gets into that area, the product will just continue to expand and warp.

And you don't want moisture in the walls down in Texas!  (Think Julia Roberts in Erin Brockovich.)


I tried to get a picture of the back splash warped and waving, even cracking the drywall in the corner where those two parts met.

Can you see the wave?  Hi, wave!  Your are history.

Here is what we replaced it with.


(The man is holding one of our cabinet doors to the slab of granite we chose.)

"Isn't she a beaut, Clark?"  (I love Christmas Vacation!)



(Part of the sink island top.)  

We worked with a local, family-owned business that we found on Angie's List.  They were so professional and amazing!!  They had all the tops  installed last weekend.

(David installed all the plumbing so we put the "saved" moolah toward a Beau-ti-ful faucet.)

Now we just need to do some touch up painting this weekend.

I will post the after pictures when we finish up the touch up painting!

It was a great anniversary gift :)

BTW - Here's the after-shots.

~  Patty  ~

14 comments:

  1. That countertop has me drooling with envy! Nice choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really drawn to the linen color samples the sales lady brought on the first trip out. As soon as I saw a big slap of it, I knew I made the right choice. Hubs had a darker one picked out, but when he saw the creamier one, he agreed.

      Delete
  2. Oh Patty! It is beautiful! Can't wait to see more...I am anxious to see where you put together all those yummy recipes! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Billie Jo! Someday I picture the two of us baking together in a kitchen!

      Delete
  3. Loving your countertop! I can't wait to see the "after" pictures!!! Like you, in Illinois, we too built our own home. Of course I say "we" when I really mean every guy on my husband's shift at the fire department! LOL Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Valerie. I forgot to add, my hubs had a wife who was VERY, VERY pregnant and cracked that building whip, a LOT! LOL

      Delete
  4. Love it! It's so beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've already told you this, but it really does look fantastic!! I didn't know you had to "water" your foundation!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I've sent you way too many pics already! LOL

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails