Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Cardinal Dolan - Meatless Fridays - Cheese Quesadillas


(Photo credit here.)

Taken from Cardinal Dolan's blog...


Abstaining from meat on Fridays is part of the Catholic Church’s emphasis on the sacrament of reconciliation. 
In his blog, Cardinal Dolan discusses the issue of “meatless Fridays,” saying: 
“What about us Catholics?  For God’s sake, I trust we are recognized for our faith, worship, charity, and lives of virtue.
“What are the external markers that make us (Catholics) stand out? Lord knows, there used to be tons of them:  Friday abstinence from meat was one of them, but we recall so many others:  seriousness about Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation; fasting on the Ember Days; saints names for children; confession at least annually; loyal membership in the local parish; fasting for three hours before Holy Communion, just to name a few.
But, almost all of these external markers are now gone.  Some applaud this; some mourn it.  I guess some were helpful, while others were not.  Besides the black smudge on our foreheads on Ash Wednesday, is there any way we Catholics “stand out” as distinctive?”

*********************************
So David and I TRY to follow this the best we can.  But I have to admit, sometimes I feel more compelled to add a meatless dish in our weekly menu just to avoid the cost of meat.  Not always.  But sometimes.
I have to add that this is a hard challenge at times because we LOVE meat.  Period.
He and I are always perusing the Internet looking for some meatless meals.  I thought I'd try them and share them with y'all only if they are deemed "blog worthy" by my personal food critics, the kids.
First up...
Cheese Quesadillas ~
(Served here with a dipping sauce and refried beans.)
What you'll need ::

Large flour tortillas, shredded cheese (I used Monterey Jack), sliced mushrooms, diced avocados, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sliced black olives or ANYTHING else you desire to load the quesadilla up with!

Heat your large tortilla up in a pan and vegetable oil.  (Just enough oil to lightly brown the tortilla).  10 seconds for one side.  Then flip.
Once your tortilla starts to form air pockets inside, place your toppings on, starting with the cheese.  Spread toppings around the tortilla.  Don't layer it too thick because you have to fold it and it IS a quesadilla, not a taco.
After placing the toppings onto the tortilla, fold the tortilla in half, and fry it about 20-30 seconds.  Flip it to the other side, and continue frying for another 20-30 seconds.  Then remove it from pan and carefully cut it in wedges.
(You can fry it with any toppings you want.)

As I mentioned above, I just served with a ranch dressing to dip in and a side of refried beans.  (But the options are endless.)
Pros :: Easy.  Kid friendly since they can pick and choose their fillings.  *Fry on a griddle so you can do at least two at a time.
Cons ::  If you use a frying pan and have a big family, it is a long time before you can step away from the stove top and enjoy one yourself.   
Enjoy!
~  Patty  ~

7 comments:

  1. You gotta get yourself a monster sized griddle. I use mine at least 3-5 times a week - for pancakes, grilled cheese, quesadillas, French toast, eggs...you name it.

    Thanks for the nudge on meatless Fridays. So often, I just plain old forget about it. I'm working on menu planning and need to do the meatless meals on Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DO have a monster sized griddle! (I grew up with one, too.) I just completely forgot to get it out before I started frying. Won't make that mistake again! :)

      Delete
  2. Love the quote, Patty. And so true indeed. Your recipe looks good...as always! : ) thanks, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of more than just cheese in those quisadillas!

    We try to do meatless Fridays, but sometimes it happens, we have it...and I feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! We've never been a meatless Friday family unless it was Lent. My mother and father grew up with meatless Fridays...hmmm...maybe I'll try that this Fall with the kids! Looking froward to your kid-approved recipe ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now those look delicious! I hear you on the not being able to make them all at once- sometimes by the time I'm done with meals like that, I am too tired to want to eat!! But I think the kids would love this. I know I will.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails