Tuesday, July 23, 2013

And The Beat Goes On...

Yowzer!

And so another year begins.

We celebrated our 18th wedding anniversary on Sunday,  and our new school year started on Monday!

The dual celebration called for a stop at Cherry Berry Yogurt Bar.

(Sarah, I was thinking of you and your family since I know how much you love this place!)











The cold yumminess hit the spot after a morning swim in the hot, Texas sun!

By that afternoon, we switched gears and started to think about our first day of school...

Each year, I sneak a back-to-school card into their bedrooms the night before the first day of school.


David and I  write a little note of encouragement to each child inside.




And there is also the traditional back to school picture taking session :)

Their 2013-2014 Back-to-School Picture   (drum roll please....)


Kind of unconventional, but this is how we roll!

We were on our way to the swimming pool....(our "P.E." class!  Ha ha!)

A typical class day looks like this ::

By mid-morning, half of the classes are complete so we usually head out to the pool.

After the pool, we eat lunch, and then we finish up any remaining subjects by 2pm.

(Unless there is homework.)

So there you have it.

We will continue to march to the beat of a new year.

Another year of growing stronger and wiser, loving more deeply, and striving to do our best in His name.

~  Patty  ~

13 comments:

  1. Love this post! You make homeschooling sound so easy. I'm so impressed with your dedication and your sweet encouraging notes for your kids. (I might have to steal that idea for Back to School Eve at our house.) And I think the Cherry Berry Yogurt Bar might be calling us. Good luck with a brand new year of school. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Haunani! Your encouragement is always good medicine (even for experienced home school moms!!) :)

      Delete
  2. I like your Back to School ideas. I cannot face starting again until it looks a bit like fall. Your kids have all grown so much over the past year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phyllis :) I admire you because it seems as though you have a year round school...so many fun and creative ways you bring the world to your children :)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE that Stan is shirtless in your back to school picture! And it looks like Clementine has the whole "posing" thing down!
    The pictures of your kids warms my heart!!! How neat that you give the kids a "back to school" card every year; you have such great traditions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! I appreciate your words, especially since they come from such an amazing teacher, as you are! I always chuckle when I see Little Man's six pack!! And his waist has never grown...I'm so jealous!

      Delete
  4. Love this one, Patty! I am so looking to you as a light to guide me through this first year of cyber/homeschooling! Love the first day of school picture, and your schedule confirms that I am on the right track with what I was planning for us. (Minus the fun pool time...by September in PA, not so lucky!) But I am planning on outdoor time for walks and playground during lunch break.

    I am so excited and thankful to you and so many others here for all the ideas and support!

    Have a wonderful day and a wonderful school year with your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Billie Jo, you will do a wonderful job. You are right, the internet brings us all so much closer and in such positive ways. We all need ideas, encouragement, attitude adjustments, etc. You will love the break times in your school day. And...we also fit in chore time each day...a big plus!

      Delete
  5. Sounds great! I dream of homeschooling. For now our kids are in private Catholic school (where my husband went as a child) and we love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you do! I taught at the Catholic grade school I attended...and even taught my youngest brother...while we both lived at home!!! LOL What great memories :)

      Delete
  6. Happy back to school! Looks like everyone is ready to go! Does all of TX start back to school in July? With homeschooling do you make up your own calendar? Wishing you a wonderful school year with your family, tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara :) Hoping this year isn't as hectic as the last one was. Eighth grade year (second semester) seemed busier with Confirmation and Graduation to work in. I now know what my older sibs mean when they say the older the kids get, the busier it gets. As for schedules, ...I wrote a post (3 posts back I believe) titled Why So Soon?? and it explains my own system and how I take off 8 weeks throughout the year. If you get a chance, you should read it. Just my little system I came up with. Hope you are continuing to enjoy your summer vacay!

      Delete
  7. I'm "stealing" your card idea this year!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails