Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Severe Weather in the South

Last week, 16 tornadoes ripped across North Texas.  In ONE night!

One was an EF-4 (Joplin, MO was and EF-5, the most severe.)  It slammed into Granbury, Texas (southwest of Forth Worth, TX) and six people lost their lives.

Then there was yesterday - Moore, Oklahoma.  No words can express the horror they went through...and all those lives lost.  All those children killed while taking cover in a well-built school.

The south does not build basements in homes (usually) because of the ground problems.  There is too much movement with expanding and contracting as the ground swells from rain or the lack of.  Very unstable ground for basements.

I am tired of being scared to death, totally freaked out, when severe weather breaks out across the south!!

I moved from the midwest and had a basement that was 1800 sq ft!!  When we had storms up there (and I have been in two tornadoes), we would hide in the basement...sleep in the basement if necessary.

Severe weather in the south is very frightening.  There are thunderstorms and then there is Severe Weather.    When it arrives at bedtime, there is NO sleep for weary mamas and papas.

I kid you not.

**************************

We have "storm rooms" in our homes.

Trust me.  I have NEVER felt safe in it.

Ever.

This is our "storm room"....under the stairwell.


Behind the coats, you duck to walk back.  When you get to the back, you can turn to the left.  When we aren't in severe weather season, I usually store bins of clothes back there.

 

We have pillows and blankets, water, shoes, a pan to bang (in case you needed someone to hear you), working flashlights, baby diapers, shoes (if bad weather hits at bedtime), and the kids hang their rosaries.


I must add, I never prompted them to hang the rosaries.

Today was another nerve-wracking day, to say the least.  There was plenty of warnings put out about being prepared for severe weather.

We "readied" our storm room and waited.  No tornadoes with the storms that blew in, praise God!  But there was a lot of wind with these thunderstorms - 68 mph gusts in the city I live in.

Those storms that fired up in Texas today are now moving east.  I pray for all those in the path.  And may God bring comfort and peace to those who have lost their loved ones and those who lost their homes.

P.S.  My husband and I are more serious than ever about looking into a REAL fortified storm shelter (underground).

~  Patty  ~






17 comments:

  1. Oh Patty, I know! It is so frightening to have to experience these storms in the South. I am always so very grateful for our basement! Our hidey-hole is is huge, comfortable, windowless. While many in our area now build the more popular "walkout basements" with the 6 ft. tall windows, french doors, etc., I prefer my "dungeon" during april/may/june! As we consider relocating South, hubby has already guaranteed me that it won't even be negotiable on the in-ground storm cellar/strong shelter. They are building more and more of those in Alabama, GA, etc. Like you, I have also experienced 2 tornadoes that actually touched down...one in De Soto, where I live on June 12, 2008 and a more horrific tornado (that has since been surpassed in damage and # killed) in April or May of 1974 in Dayton, OH. I was only 5 at the time, but I STILL remember huddling with my mother in the bathtub of our basement-less house and hail damaged the roof and windows, and the sky turned an eerie green. The stillness before the storm and after is frightening!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are all safe. Prayers for Oklahoma, very sad. I hated not having a basement in NC at times like those, I feel for you. It seems like the severe weather just keeps getting worse. Sorry, I know that does not help, but I completely get your anxiety about this! You will continue on our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I LOVE that your kiddos hung Rosaries!!! What a beautiful Spirit-led idea!!! I might have to add those to our safety kit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the children wear their bicycle helmets during the tornado warnings when we lived there. I was seriously considering buying everyone motor bike helmets as I just didn't feel safe anywhere above ground.

    Praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marianne, yup! Thinking along those lines, too.

      Delete
  5. Oh Patty, how absolutely frightening! I didn't think you were in it's path! Your children have the best safety plan ~ their rosaries at the ready. If you plan to stay in the south, definitely get a storm shelter or move north! The weather has been scary in many areas. We dealt with flooding but no one lost their lives or were injured. I can't imagine waiting for a tornado to come through. Will pray for you and all those in it's path. May God protect you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noreen. Not sure why storm shelters (underground) are not mandatory in the south. They definitely should be!

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh, that is so scary! I freak out at storms (we mostly get hurricanes) and I can't even imagine your kind of weather. Prayers for all and I hope everything has passed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch :) Hopefully, no more (till next spring.)

      Delete
  7. Oh, so scary. I think the St Joseph prayer in the Pieta prayer book is supposed to help with storms...have to look it up. I wondered when a witness said that there were some homes untouched.

    I hate storms, I try not to let the kids know I am petrified, but I am. We are blessed to have a basement, but really, are we safe there either? I mean the whole roof and house would fall in and down...

    Extra prayers for you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! There is a "storm" prayer somewhere. If you find it, please let me know! I would like to print it off and tape it to the wall under the stairs.

      Delete
  8. I feel a little guilty for loving storms, but we don't get them as harsh and you do. So glad you are OK and I think you have made a safe place that will help the fears of your children with it's coziness and prayerfulness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, don't feel guilty for loving a thunderstorm. I LOVE thunderstorms, especially in the summer time. Watching the sky light up with dancing bolts of lightening in the evening, followed by distant rumbles of thunder...I think is just absolutely beautiful. It is the severe weather storms that take the years off of my life :)

      Delete
  9. So glad you are safe and sound...I have been praying constantly. Can't imagine how nerve wracking! The fact that you didn't have to prompt your kids to hang the Rosaries, is such a wonderful blessing! Love that:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! I would be so scared too. I never thought about the basement thing- we also had a basement when I lived back east and I remember huddling down there waiting for tornado warnings to pass. That's a good place for the rosaries- smart kiddos. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails