Sunday, February 24, 2013

Square Foot Gardening - 1

Our first-ever garden!

We've talked the talk enough.  This year we are actually going to do it.

David started transforming Stan the man's old rock box back in January.

****************************

For fun, I added this old Smilebox of David and Stan making the rock box.  I think it's about four years old...



Click to play this Smilebox scrapbook

*****************************

In January, he went to work by emptying the rocks and weed paper first.  Next, he started building the sides for rabbit proofing.


The next photo is of the rabbit-proof sides complete with entry gate for us.


He added compost soil mixture from Lowe's and a water irrigation system.

Then he heard about Square Foot Gardening from a customer of his.  What a great concept!!  I attached a link to a blog here for you to read.

Our garden is 5'x5' and we "plan" to get more out of it by growing our garden up.  We are also keeping it small since this is our first time at it.

Today, he sectioned off the garden into square foot sections, preparing for planting.


And that is where we are at right now.  Planning stage for planting.

I'll post more once we have it all planted.  Wish us luck!

Happy Sunday!

~ Patty  ~

17 comments:

  1. Gardening...it's February! We have so much snow out there I can't even see where my garden plot is! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds crazy, doesn't it. They garden down here year round. Two real growing seasons. My Korean neighbor gardens like mad!

      Delete
  2. It is wonderful you have a hubby that is so handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Phyllis! He is a real handy man. Very grateful for him :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with Phyllis...and I can't wait to follow along and garden vicariously through you! I have noooo talent in this department!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Billie Jo...hoping all the hard work pays off. We are being realistic and taking baby steps.

      Delete
  4. That looks great! Can't wait to watch it grow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just started a garden last year! I love your rabbit fence! I need to add that to mine, and I need one for deer, too! They ate our corn! Best of luck, it looks like you're off to a great start!! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! Unfortunately, our subdivision has these privacy fences all over. Hard to get to know your neighbor let alone see no animals in the wild, like we use to see (deer) at our last house up in Illinois. We lived along a treeline and those deer would come to eat the wild blackberries :)

      Delete
  6. What a cute scrap book thing to do! (love the rock box idea, instead of sand!--how fun1) Your box looks great, can't wait to see how the garden turns out! (I love gardening, but gave it up around baby #5) Plus, the deer eat everything we plant, last year, they even ate our tomatoes!! -they are not supposed to like tomatoes!)

    OK, I'm kind of a new reader here, what state are you in? Trying not to be jealous! We don't even plant til Memorial day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, Texas---found it! I want to move to Texas...hubby does too! We "dream" talk moving to Corpus Christi! haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie Jo, we "dream" talked it for a few years. Always loved what I saw about Texas and had never been there. David had when he was in basic training for the Air Guard in San Antonio. We had lived in Illinois and desperately wanted out (and in the south). The economy was starting to stink in Illinois prior to the rest of the country, so it made the move "easier". He started job hunting June and moved into new Texas house on halloween. I LOVE it hear. More than I ever thought I would. No regrets, (except we miss our family). But the nearly, endless blue skies during the very mild winter months totally makes up for that! Living in Illinois I use to wonder, how many shades of gray are there in the winter??!!

      Delete
  8. Yay for gardening! So jealous. Another 4 months and I'll join you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So awesome! Look forward to seeing things grow and unfold. The kids love it, don't they? Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the smile box!! What a cutie. And so helpful. ;) I pinned this for my daughter, who is hoping to dig into gardening this year (no pun intended). This looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Somehow I missed this post! Your garden looks great and I can't wait to see how it progresses. I'm jealous that you are working on your garden in January! Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails