Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Prayers for My Brother

UPDATE #2::  Mike is home!  Yeah!  He was given a special medication with IV therapy and his heart reacted well to it.  His doctor wants him back in three months for more testing.  This will give the heart time to see if it can handle the "workload" with that medication.  He is grateful for all your prayers, and continues to need them :)

********************************************



UPDATE::  Mike is doing well.  They were able to do a less invasive procedure than expected.  He will remain hospitalized for the next two days.  After more testing, we hope to have a clearer picture of the waiting time till he can receive his new valve.  I'll keep you updated.

******************************************

I am asking that you keep my brother, Mike, in your prayers over the next 48 hours.

Mike has been waiting for a heart valve replacement (his whole life - he is 33 years old).  He was born with Tetralogy of Fallot, a severe congenital heart defect that includes four heart defects at birth.    His brief story is here.

The last of the defects is the valve replacement.  The valve itself is not "broke" enough to go in and replace it.  If the surgeons go in too soon, the same issues will arise with the new valve.  The negative side is that Mike has basically been in congestive heart failure his entire life.

Last week there was a hiccup in the waiting game.  A serious one.

He is going in for 48 hours today for treatment and testing.

He remains matter of fact and optimistic.  He never allows self-pity to enter the picture.  He has adapted to and dealt with his condition better than most people deal with everyday stress in their lives.  Mike is and always will be the "heartbeat" of the family with his contagious humor and love of his nieces and nephews.  Uncle Mike is by far the favorite uncle in the family!

I'll keep you all updated.

Thanks SO much for the prayer!!

~  Patty  ~

18 comments:

  1. Prayers coming your way, Patty... And hugs as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog via the voting for the Sheenazing Awards. (You're nominated). Prayers for your brother. My son had to have valves created so I know how frightening and hard this can be. Hopefully, it will just be one bad day (as the surgeon told me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, thank you for the prayers. I'd love to hear your son's story. And thanks for the heads up on the nomination! I never knew!

      Delete
    2. I am still stunned by the parallels between your presented family life on this blog, and my own.

      Because you asked, I am attaching these links to prior writings that tell Paul's story.

      The first, Baby Paul's Heart and Ours
      http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/marriage/mf0106.htm

      is from before the time when he was born.

      The second is just after the surgery and return home.
      http://sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com/2010/05/dear-paul.html


      and the third, showing his recovery being complete.

      http://www.cathstan.org/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=19&ArticleID=3846

      Delete
    3. Always inspired by these stories. Thank you for sharing. I loved your quote about God's plan at the end of the first story. You know, I once met the first "pediatric" open heart patient while vacationing in Mexico? He was from the states and his surgery, I believe, was in Houston. When I put his age together with my brother's age, I realized that my brother was one of the newer pediatric patients that went in for open heart surgery. It will be 12 years in August since my daughter second oldest had her surgery. My youngest daughter was born with a defect that ended correcting itself, praise God. As my mom calls these defects, "special" hearts. Thanks again for sharing! And btw, Paul is one cute little boy!!!

      Delete
    4. Yeah, we think he's awesome. He's a great big brother too...he's 4 1/2 and in to everything. Didn't get the memo he is supposed to be low tone and not as physical.

      Delete
  3. Praying for him, as well as you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers!!! I'll be back in touch as soon as we regain some health around our house. My nephew was born with a congenital heart defect, too. That condition sounds so familiar. I'll need to ask my sister Joy what Eli had. Blessings to him and you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for Mike! In case you're interested, there is a Novena Prayer to St. John of God. He is the patron saint of heart problems and hospitals. Here's the link:
    http://prayers4reparation.wordpress.com/2012/02/25/novena-prayer-to-st-john-of-god-patron-of-those-with-heartache/

    St. John of God, pray for Mike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noreen - we know St. John of God well!! Our Ester was born with a congenital heart defect that needed open heart surgery to repair as a five month old. Guess when her birthday is??? The feast of St. John of God, March 8! A definite God moment for our family :) Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Greatly appreciated!!

      Delete
  6. Thank you all for your continued prayers! They are greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How's Mike doing now? I'v been praying for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH my gosh! I'm so sorry that I forgot to update again. It completely slipped my mind, and I thank you for asking!! Yes, he is home now. I put the update on the blog. Thanks, Noreen, for all your prayers! God bless!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails