Monday, January 7, 2013

Painted Snowflakes and Snowy Books

School started today.

And it went well.

When Stan was asked what his favorite part about school was he replied, "Before it was invented!"   (Sigh...)

We created some snowy fun over the weekend.

Materials needed:

1.  Various shades of blue paint.
2.  Paint brushes.
3. Masking tape.
4.  Canvas.  (We used 8x10's.  A 2 pack cost around $3.49 at Hobby Lobby.)



First, use the tape to create a snowflake design.  Smooth the edges down real good or the paint may bleed.




Next, paint your canvas.




Don't forget to paint the sides!


Then you have to let it dry completely.  This takes a few hours, especially if your little one likes to use a LOT of paint :)

They'll kind of look like this...


Once it is completely dried, you can start peeling the tape off.  Don't be afraid to use your nail to get a piece started.


The finished product...


I think they turned out pretty cute!

I found these on Pinterest.  The original post suggested you could outline the inside of each snowflake with a marker to make them stand out.  My kids liked them the way they were.

These make a cute addition to our bulletin board!

**********************************

And speaking of snowflakes.

One of my FAVORITE winter themed books is called Owl Moon, by Jane Yolen.


I've had this book for years and years.  We never tire of this descriptive and captivating story about a father and daughter who go owling.

Here is a sample::

"Our feet crunched over the crisp snow and little gray footprints followed us.  Pa made a long shadow, but mine was short and round.  I had to run after him every now and then to keep up, and my short, round shadow bumped after me.

But I never called out.  If you go owling you have to be quiet, that's what Pa always says.  I had been waiting to go owling with Pa for a long, long time."

And one of Stan's favorites...


Because even though he likes to think he is a big boy, he still likes cute, fun, and silly books.  And that's okay with me!

~  Patty  ~

10 comments:

  1. Hi Patty! I love this idea. And I love the blue! Madison does alot of canvas painting in art class. They always turn out lovely. This is really a cute idea. Thanks for always sharing your wonderful ideas! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stan, you sound exactly like a certain boy I know. They make you laugh, don't they Patty? And sometimes almost cry. Those students, gotta love 'em!

    What a cute project. I may have to give those a whirl and have the kids do them and they could be part of our ever-growing winter decor around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen these on Pinterest and thought the kids would love this. Mabye I will buy everything and have ready for a rainy day project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are super cute Patty! I've seen this technique used in other ways too. I tried it with scrapbook letters, a scripture verse, but they didn't pull off easily at all. So we used silver or gold sharpie to trace over the letters. Turned out cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and Stan's response is hilarious. Sounds like he's a true jokster!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a LOVEly project!!! Perfect for St. Agnes feast day on the 21st...I love her story and how snowflakes are called St. Agnes flowers:)Does Sally like St. Agnes? She is so fitting for her:)That little Stan makes me smile:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those turned our adorable!! I love Tiffany's tie in. We did do a few snowflake things for St. Agnes' feast day last year. Love the books- Owl Moon is a favorite. We'll have to look for One Mitten. My boys would agree with Stan about school. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, what a cute idea!! This looks easy enough for all ages, my kids would love this. We haven't had much snow yet, but Owl Moon is one of our favorites too. Snowflake Bentley would be another great go along. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails